History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paradise Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Barton Mills, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3356 / 52°20'8"N

Longitude: 0.5278 / 0°31'40"E

OS Eastings: 572324

OS Northings: 273847

OS Grid: TL723738

Mapcode National: GBR PB8.G8K

Mapcode Global: VHJG6.3KDC

Entry Name: Paradise Farmhouse

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 16 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037606

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275748

Location: Barton Mills, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Barton Mills

Built-Up Area: Barton Mills

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Barton Mills St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Mildenhall

Listing Text

TL 77 SW BARTON MILLS THE STREET

4/7 Paradise Farmhouse
- (formerly listed as Street
7/5/54 Farmhouse)

- II*

House, formerly farmhouse, c.1500. A 3-cell Wealden-type house of unusually
high quality. 2 storeys. Timber-framed and plastered; the wide cells at
either end have upper floors jettied at the front and supported on brackets,
and the oversailing eaves plate above the hall has large windows supported by
brackets, and the oversailing eaves plate above the hall has large brackets
with carved spandrels. Plaintiled roof with central and end chimneys of red
brick. Mainly C20 oak-mullioned windows, some inserted into original openings.
Early C19 6-panelled entrance door, partly glazed. The cross-passage entrance
is formed within the service end, with original short plank-and-muntin speres
with carved brackets supporting the top rail ; a little later the speres were
converted to a screen, with 2 arched doorways having carved spandrels. The 1st
floor structure to the hall is richly carved with cresting, crenellation and
trailing leaves, and the common joists have double-ogee moulding. Over the
hall is a 2-bay roof with octagonal crownpost. The high quality of the
original workmanship of the house suggests that it may have been built for some
special function.


Listing NGR: TL7232473847

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.