History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Freckenham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.319 / 52°19'8"N

Longitude: 0.4451 / 0°26'42"E

OS Eastings: 566747

OS Northings: 271807

OS Grid: TL667718

Mapcode National: GBR N90.R9W

Mapcode Global: VHJG4.NZN3

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 16 October 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037615

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275765

Location: Freckenham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Freckenham

Built-Up Area: Freckenham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Freckenham St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Freckenham

Listing Text

TL 67 SE FRECKENHAM CHURCH LANE

3/24 Manor House
-
- II*

House, formerly manor house, late C17 with rear extension of 1934. 4 windows;
2 storeys and attics. Pink/buff brick with double moulded string at 1st floor,
and parapet gables. Plaintiled roof with external end chimneys of pink brick,
recapped C19 in gault brick; another external C17 chimney to rear with sunk
panel in shaft. Gabled C19 dormers with rendered cheeks and small-pane
casements. 3-light wdoden windows of C18 and C19, without lintels; metal
casements with leaded lights, some containing crown glass. Early C20 6-
panelled entrance door with flat canopy on brackets. In a rear contemporary
timber-framed and plastered wing is a fine C17 staircase of pine; heavy
panelled newels with drop-finials, and urn balusters. A ground floor room has
complete late C17 decoration, with full moulded panelling and cornice,
fireplace-surround and 2-panelled doors with broad shouldered architraves. A
1st floor room is fully panelled with wainscotting of a plainer C17 type. Other
rooms have less-complete C17 and C18 joinery. A rear service range to left,
formerly of one storey, was raised to 2 storeys and extended 1934.


Listing NGR: TL6674771807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.