History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cock Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kentford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2724 / 52°16'20"N

Longitude: 0.503 / 0°30'10"E

OS Eastings: 570878

OS Northings: 266758

OS Grid: TL708667

Mapcode National: GBR PC0.G0N

Mapcode Global: VHJGK.N4TS

Entry Name: The Cock Public House

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Last Amended: 26 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037676

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275609

Location: Kentford, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Kentford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Kentford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kennett

Listing Text

TL 76 NW KENTFORD BURY ROAD

3/49 The Cock P.H.
7.5.54 (Formerly listed
as Cock Inn)

II


Public House. Formerly coaching inn; late C15 or early C16 with
major alterations of early C19 and 1935. 2 storeys, 3-cell plan.
Timber-framed, encased early C19 in red brick (painted C.20).
Plaintiled roof with axial and end chimneys of red brick. Mainly
C20 small-pane sash windows; 2 C19 windows at 1st floor have
horizontal sliding casements. Recessed C20 glazed panelled
entrance door. The upper floor was originally jettied along the
front wall. The right-hand cell (now the Public Bar) was occupied
by twin service rooms. The hall is of 2 equal bays (now the
Lounge Bar), with a central binding joist having trailing leaf
carving in 3 bands, separated by a roll. At the rear wall, the
joist sits on a post with a carved male figure about 50cm high.
This has a long robe and appears to support the joist with its
upstretched arms. It stands on a carved pilaster. A second
figure stood facing it at the front wall until 1935. The
bridging and common-joists are moulded with roll, ogee, and
hollow-chamfers. The open fireplace, probably later, has a plain
cambered lintel. A small wing to rear left, C18 or earlier, with
gable chimney; possibly a kitchen wing. The C20 1- and 2-storey
wings to right and rear are not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TL7087866758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.