History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kentford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2728 / 52°16'22"N

Longitude: 0.4998 / 0°29'59"E

OS Eastings: 570654

OS Northings: 266795

OS Grid: TL706667

Mapcode National: GBR PC0.F60

Mapcode Global: VHJGK.M42H

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037677

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275611

Location: Kentford, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Kentford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Kentford St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Kennett

Listing Text

TL 76 NW
3/51

KENTFORD
BURY ROAD
Church of St. Mary

7.5.54

II*
Church, medieval with C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, west
tower and south porch. Flint rubble (rendered on part of north
wall), with dressings of clunch and limestone, parapet gables and
prominent buttressing. Concrete plaintiled roofs (the tower roof
flat with parapets of gault brick). Medieval features almost
entirely mid/late C14, but chancel has earlier core. Large 2-
light traceried windows to north and south walls; the 3-light
east window is similar, with net tracery. Moulded arched C14
doorways to the nave and chancel have C18 panelled doors; the
north nave doorway has a boarded C19 door. The tower has a fine
circular C14 west window with fragments of C15 and C19 glass.
Small ringing-chamber window on 3 sides, but the south window was
replaced by a round-arched belfry opening when the tower lost its
upper stage and was repaired C18 in gault brick. Simple
pointed tower-arch. The south porch was added later C14;
arched doorway with weathered pilaster; a mask gargoyle survives
from the original roof (the existing purlin roof was added C17).
Crow-stepped gables and C15 2-light side windows with tracery,
later blocked. On the parapet is a C19 sundial. Above the south
doorway is an empty image niche. The broad moulded chancel arch
is in the C14 manner, but probably rebuilt C19. The nave has a
plastered canted roof, renewed C19 with simple hammer beams; the
chancel has a C19 roof of arch-braced collar-beam trusses also
with vestigial hammer beams. The thorough restoration of the
chancel in 1877 is recorded in stained glass in a chancel window.
Over the north doorway is a late C14 painting of 3 crowned
figures; extensive but faint painting throughout the nave exists
beneath lime-wash. Octagonal limestone font in the C15 manner,
dated 1902. In the nave is a complete set of C18 deal boxpews.


Listing NGR: TL7065466795

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.