This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2492 / 52°14'57"N
Longitude: 0.4884 / 0°29'18"E
OS Eastings: 569968
OS Northings: 264145
OS Grid: TL699641
Mapcode National: GBR PC5.Y11
Mapcode Global: VHJGK.FQ2L
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037681
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275620
Location: Moulton, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Moulton
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Moulton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 66 SE
Church of St. Peter
Church. Medieval, restored 1851. Nave, chancel, west tower,
north and south aisles, north and south transeptal chapels, south
porch. Flint rubble with some limestone rubble, with dressings
of limestone and clunch; crenellated parapets and parapet-gables.
Slated roofs to nave, chancel and porch; flat roofs elsewhere.
The 4 main phases of work are:-
a) Fragments of C12 nave.
b) Early C14 tower.
c) Late C15 or early C16 virtual rebuilding of body of church.
d) Major restoration of C16 work in 1851.
At each corner of the nave, some walling and limestone quoins
with engaged columns and chamfered abaci from the previous, C12,
nave. A 3-stage tower added C14. The parapet cornice has
closely-spaced mask ornament and 3 carved gargoyles. On all
sides are 2-light belfry openings and on the north and south
sides flanking side lights. 2-light west window above moulded
doorway. Sanctus bell opening (blocked) and chamfered tower
arch. All other work was renewed c.1500, probably in stages.
Large mainly 3- and 4-light windows (many with transomes).
Moulded doorways; one blocked, led from the north aisle to an
anchorite's cell, later demolished. The nave arcades have
embattled capitals to the attached shafts. Roofs heavily
restored, perhaps replaced in the chancel. Nave roof in 6 bays:
hammer beams with arch-braces to high collars and short
kingposts. The deep cornice has a carved angel to each bay. The
chancel roof similar, in 5 bays. In the chancel a piscina with
traceried head, another in the south transept. In the north
transept the pillar and base only remain of a projecting piscina.
complete roodloft stair on the north side; beside it, corbels for
2 images, and on the south side a niche for a third. Octagonal
limestone font, C16 but heavily recut, bearing the emblems of the
Passion in panels; fine C16 cover, of cupola form with crockets
on each rib. In the chancel, 4 C16 bench ends built into C19
choirstalls, with carved animals upon the buttresses. Wall
tablet in the chancel to Francis Seyliard, rector, 1676. Marble
floor slabs, 1729 in chancel, and 1699 in north transept. A
fragment of limestone in the south aisle has 2 human figures
crudely carved in relief, C12 or earlier; possibly from the
tympanum over an entrance door. All the C16 stonework was
heavily restored in 1851. The south porch and all other
furnishings provided 1851.
Listing NGR: TL6996864145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings