History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalham Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Dalham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2352 / 52°14'6"N

Longitude: 0.5235 / 0°31'24"E

OS Eastings: 572416

OS Northings: 262672

OS Grid: TL724626

Mapcode National: GBR PCF.TCY

Mapcode Global: VHJGS.123S

Entry Name: Dalham Hall

Listing Date: 7 May 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037703

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275570

Location: Dalham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8

County: Suffolk

District: Forest Heath

Civil Parish: Dalham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Dalham St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Dalham

Listing Text

TL 76 SW DALHAM DALHAM HALL

6/10 Dalham Hall
7.5.54

II


House. 1705, for Simon Patrick, Bishop of Ely. 2 storeys and
attics on basement. 7 windows, the centre block of 3 bays set
slightly forward. Dark red brick with quoins in lighter red
brickwork; at the corners, rendered blocks give the effect of
rustication; an offset plinth with limestone coping at ground
floor, a rendered band at 1st floor, and coved cornice at the
eaves. Hipped slated roof with hipped casement dormers and
central chimneys. Tall sash windows with flat arches having
raised painted keystones, and a sunk oblong panel beneath the
cill; small-pane sashes of C19 and C20 at 1st floor, large-pane
sashes at ground floor. 2 windows flanking the entrance have
semi-circular heads of gauged brick; the basement windows have
segmental arched heads and leaded casements. Early C19 entrance
doorway with pilasters and entablature with small pediment; C20
glazed door and fanlight. A segmental flight of limestone steps
leads up to the entrance. A large 2-storey extension in similar
style with parapets and flat roof added to left c.1927; the
interior of the older house is believed to have been completely
renewed at that time, including fine panelling and other joinery,
staircase and moulded plasterwork, all in the C18 manner. A
large 1-storey glazed entrance porch added to rear, late C19 or
early C20. The house had 3 full floors and attics until a
serious fire of 1954, when the top floor was removed and the roof
reconstructed. The house and estate were acquired by Cecil
Rhodes c.1901, shortly before his death.


Listing NGR: TL7241662672

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.