This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0577 / 52°3'27"N
Longitude: 1.1506 / 1°9'1"E
OS Eastings: 616085
OS Northings: 244605
OS Grid: TM160446
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.XB2
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.WJMY
Entry Name: Old Museum Rooms
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037718
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275514
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary at the Elms
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 MUSEUM STREET
(Old Museum Rooms)
TM 1644 NW 1/124 19.12.51.
The old Museum, opened in 1847 was designed by Christopher Fleury, a local
architect. It is a large red brick building with a stucco front in classical
style with panelled parapet, a plain band (which now replaces the original
cornice) and massive Tuscan orders on octagonal base rising through 2 storeys
at the corners. 2 storeys. 3 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing
bars. The centre part, of doorway and one window range above, breaks forward
slightly. The side windows have moulded and shouldered architraves with
balustraded panels beneath the sills. The centre window has a Venetian style
surround with a semi-circular domed arch with shell ornamentation and flanking
paired Ionic columns with frieze and cornice. The doorway has fluted Doric
pilasters, frieze and cornice, and is flanked by C20 shop fronts. The front
originally has a projecting Doric columned porch. The north side is in panelled
red brick, without windows. In the interior a heavy balustraded staircase
leads to a 1st floor hall which is top lit with a gallery (blocked).
Nos 1 to 11 (odd) and No 13 (Old Museum Rooms) form a group with No 10.
Nos 14 to 32 (even) and Nos 14 and 16, Arcade Street.
Listing NGR: TM1608544605
Other nearby listed buildings