This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0584 / 52°3'30"N
Longitude: 1.1562 / 1°9'22"E
OS Eastings: 616465
OS Northings: 244704
OS Grid: TM164447
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.YZG
Mapcode Global: VHLBT.0J2C
Entry Name: Pykenham
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275526
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 NORTHGATE STREET
TM 1644 NW 1/137 19.12.51.
Formerly the Royal Oak Inn. A fine C15-C16 timber-framed and plastered building
with exposed timber-framing. There is a cross wing at the south end with
a long frontage on Oak Lane and the upper storey is jettied on both fronts
with carved bressumers on curved brackets, capitals and shafts. It has been
considerably restored but has many original features. 2 storeys and attics.
3 window range on Northgate Street, mullioned windows, some with transomes,
with lattice leaded lights. The cross wing has an oriel bay window with
a moulded sill. Long ranges of small mullioned windows connect the windows
on the ground and 1st storeys. The gable of the cross wing projects slightly
on a moulded bressumer and the 1st floor bressumer is carved with fishes,
presumably pike. There is a fine enriched corner post, carved with figures,
one a blacksmith. The bargeboards to the gable are carved with vine ornamentation.
The attics are lit by a window in the gable. The doorway has an open porch
with a 4-centred arch with carved spandrels and an inner battened door. The
frontage on Oak Lane has several original window openings with moulded sills.
The house was extended to the north in the early C20 by F G Cotman, who lived
here. Some original timbers were employed in the work. Roofs tiled, with
1 flat headed dormer on the Oak Lane frontage.
All the listed buildings in Northgate Street except Garden Wall to No 9
form a group with No 43 (Great White Horse Hotel) Tavern Street. No 2
Great Colman Street and part of Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Margaret's Plain.
Also No 7 (Pykenham) and Garden Wall to No 9 form a group with St Mary
Le Tower Church House, Oak Lane, and St Mary-Le-Tower Church, Tower Street.
Listing NGR: TM1646544704
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings