This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0556 / 52°3'20"N
Longitude: 1.1519 / 1°9'6"E
OS Eastings: 616187
OS Northings: 244378
OS Grid: TM161443
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.41M
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.XLBJ
Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037739
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275468
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 FRIARS STREET
TM 1644 SW 3/86 19.12.51.
A very fine example of a C17 Meeting House. A congregation of Dissenters
was first founded in 1672 and the present building was opened in 1700. It
has much of its original work and the original interior fittings have been
retained almost intact. A square planned building with plastered walls.
2 storeys, the upper storey windows light the gallery which runs round 3
sides of the interior, All sides have imposing fronts but the main entrance
fronts are on the north and east sides. The north front has 3 window range,
mullioned and transomed casements with leaded lattice lights and 2 8-panel
double-doors with stucco moulded and shouldered architraves, panelled pilasters
and modillioned pediments on enriched console brackets. On the 1st storey,
above the doorways there are oval windows with spiders web leaded lights.
The east side has a central doorway similar to those on the north side and
4 mullioned and transomed windows as on the north side. Originally it faced
on to a courtyard approached by a passage way from St Nicholas Street. The
south side has 6 window range, 4 with semi-circular arched heads and oval
windows above, as on the north front. The west front has 4 window range
mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lattice lights. Roof tiled,
double pitched. The interior has a panelled gallery on 3 sides, original
box pews, a fine carved 3 decker pulpit (reputed to be carved by Grinling
Gibbons), and a brass chandelier.
Listing NGR: TM1618744378
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings