This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0532 / 52°3'11"N
Longitude: 1.1542 / 1°9'15"E
OS Eastings: 616358
OS Northings: 244118
OS Grid: TM163441
Mapcode National: GBR TMW.BLX
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.YNKD
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 19 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275413
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4
District Council Ward: Alexandra
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 10644 SW COLLEGE STREET
Church of St Peter
A C14 and C15 church flint and stone with stone dressings and a fine C15 knapped flint tower with stone dressings and corner buttresses, some 100 ft high. The church was considerably restored in the late C19 and the upper stage of the tower was rebuilt in the C20. The interior has a fine C12 black Tournai marble font with animal carving and an early C17 brass to John Knapp, 'Merchant and portman of this towne of Ipswich', dated 1604. This church adjoined the priory of SS Peter and Paul, suppressed in 1527 and given to Cardinal Wolsey, who founded his own college on the site.
The Church of St Peter, the Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary, Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and No 4 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1635844118
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings