History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

13, Cornhill

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0581 / 52°3'28"N

Longitude: 1.153 / 1°9'10"E

OS Eastings: 616248

OS Northings: 244655

OS Grid: TM162446

Mapcode National: GBR TMP.Y0X

Mapcode Global: VHLBS.XJWN

Entry Name: 13, Cornhill

Listing Date: 4 August 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037759

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275418

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

Locality: Alexandra

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ipswich

Listing Text

1.
1260 CORNHILL
(North Side)

No 13
TM 1644 NW 1/373

II GV

2.
A red brick and stone building designed by F G Cotman, an Ipswich architect,
in 1889, in a free Jacobean style. It makes an interesting example of late
Victorian commercial architectural exuberence and together with the Town Hall
and Post Office on the South side of Cornhill makes an interesting group of late
C19 civic buildings. 3 storeys and attics. The windows are double-hung
sashes without glazing bars, with round headed arches with ornamental
hood moulds. There are 2 stone oriel bay windows, one at the West end
on the 2nd storey and one rising through the 1st and 2nd storeys. Some
of the windows have stone orders and there is an arcaded window range
on the 2nd storey. The west end has a balustraded parapet. The dormer
windows have "Dutch' gables with ornamental stone scroll work and pinnacles.
The ground storey was broken through in 1930 to form Lloyds Avenue and
there is a Tuscan arcade with modillion cornice, a wide central traffic
opening and flanking semi-circular arched pedestrian openings with engaged
eo1ulans, the 1st storey windows above the opening are double-hung sashes
with glazing bars, in stone architraves. Roof tiled.

Nos 7, 8, 13 & 15, Golden Lion Hotel, Town Hall & Post Office form a group.

Listing NGR: TM1624844655

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.