History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chantry

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0541 / 52°3'14"N

Longitude: 1.1174 / 1°7'2"E

OS Eastings: 613830

OS Northings: 244114

OS Grid: TM138441

Mapcode National: GBR TMV.1BX

Mapcode Global: VHLBS.BM2N

Entry Name: The Chantry

Listing Date: 4 August 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037783

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275382

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP2

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Town: Ipswich

Electoral Ward/Division: Gipping

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Triangle and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Sproughton

Listing Text

1.
1260 The Chantry

TM 14 SW 11/1

II

2.
A large mansion standing in a fine park of about 124 acres, presented to
the town in 1927. At one time the home of Sir Fitzroy Edward Kelly, Baron
of the Exchequer 1866-80. It was built in the C18 but was considerably altered
and extended in the C19. (1853-54). The north front has the original C18
facade of 3 storeys and 5 window range, with a balustraded parapet, modillioned
cornice and a pediment above the centre part of 3 window range which breaks
forward slightly. A central C19 2 storeyed porte-chochere projects on front,
with coupled Tuscan columns united by bands of vermiculated rustication on
the ground storey, coupled Ionic columns framing "Palladian" arches on the
first storey and a balustraded parapet with urns. At the cast and west ends
2 storeyed C19 wings break forward slightly, each of one window range with
paired corner pilasters and balustraded parapets. The south front is of
3 storeys and 9 window range with a heavy bracketted cornice, a balustraded
parapet and a large central 2 storey bow of 3 windows framed by pairs of
Ionic half columns on the first storey and rusticated pilasters on the ground
storey. A further 2 storeyed wing of 4 window range extends to the west
and there is a late C18 or early C19 stable block and courtyard at the west
end. The east front has 2 2-storeyed bays of 3 windows and a Tuscan collonade
on the ground storey. All the windows are double-hung sashes with glazing
bars, the upper storey windows have stucco shouldered architraves. The ground
storey is rusticated. Roofs slate.


Listing NGR: TM1383044114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.