History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Prospect Tower and Attached Wing

A Grade II* Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0952 / 53°5'42"N

Longitude: -2.1556 / 2°9'20"W

OS Eastings: 389677

OS Northings: 355341

OS Grid: SJ896553

Mapcode National: GBR 136.V4W

Mapcode Global: WHBCF.VGQJ

Entry Name: Prospect Tower and Attached Wing

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037810

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275239

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST6

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Knypersley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Endon

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. KNYPERSLEY
SJ 85 NE
SJ 896 553
7/33 Prospect Tower and
- attached wing

- II*

Prospect tower. Dated 1828. Coursed stone, rock-faced quoins; flat
roof invisible behind parapet. Large chimney adds drama to skyline,
formerly 3 diagonally-set shafts, 2 still survive. Octagonal tower
with screen wall to side wing. Tower: of 3 stages on battered plinth;
first stage defined by string; machicolated parapet formerly crenellated.
Round-arch mullioned 2-light windows in labelled chamfered, deep reveals,
to first and second stages, similar single light to top stage; labelled
datestone on the north-east face of the top stage. Entrance to east side.
Plinth extended to south to take short single-storey link to attached wing
formerly with corbelled parapet. Three labelled 1- and 2-light windows
similar to remainder. John Bateman, the horticulturist, started his
landscaping ambitions at his Father's house, Knypersley Hall
before moving on to Biddulph Grange (q.v.), completed in the 1860's.
The Tower, therefore, probably marks the debut period of his work,
and clearly owes a debt to Clytha Castle (Gwent); what is there idyllic
is here transformed into a rugged picturesqueness, more in keeping with
developments later in the C19.


Listing NGR: SJ8967755341

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.