History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Knypersley School knypersley School, Attached Archway and Frontage Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.108 / 53°6'28"N

Longitude: -2.1807 / 2°10'50"W

OS Eastings: 388000

OS Northings: 356776

OS Grid: SJ880567

Mapcode National: GBR 135.1J6

Mapcode Global: WHBCF.G4SM

Entry Name: Knypersley School knypersley School, Attached Archway and Frontage Wall

Listing Date: 20 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037811

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275241

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Built-Up Area: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Knypersley St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. NEWPOOL ROAD, Knypersley
SJ 85 SE
7/35 Knypersley School, attached
- archway and frontage wall

GV II

School. Circa 1850, by R.C. Hussey. Coursed stone; blue machine tile
roofs; verge parapets on corbelled kneelers; stone side stacks with
twin diagonal capping shafts; square end stacks to rear. 'E'-plan
derivative and of Elizabethan inspiration. Frontage: 2 widely-spaced
2-storey, slightly projecting gables flank lower single-storey central
range with gabled single-storey porch to centre. Gables have labelled
stone-mullioned and timber-transomed casement windows to the first floor
and 3-sided stone-mullioned and transomed bays to ground floor, with
pitched solid block hipped roofs; 2-light stone-mullion and transom
windows flank porch: round-arch entrance with carved banner relief
over inscribed "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart/and lean not
into thine own understanding". Pyramidal roofed belfry tower to right-
hand rear of front. Lean-to set back to right; attached entry arch;
elliptically arched opening in gabled wall with moulded coping and impost
strings. Frontage to Newpool Road has stone wall approximately 1m high,
with moulded coping on plain piers with circular pattern cut-outs running
between. Built under the patronage of the Bateman family.


Listing NGR: SJ8800056776

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.