This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1784 / 53°10'42"N
Longitude: -2.0423 / 2°2'32"W
OS Eastings: 397272
OS Northings: 364592
OS Grid: SJ972645
Mapcode National: GBR 23Q.LJ7
Mapcode Global: WHBC3.LCQP
Entry Name: Swythamley Hall
Listing Date: 20 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275271
Location: Heaton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK11
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Heaton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Rushton Spencer St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
HEATON C.P. SWYTHAMLEY PARK
SJ 96 SE
5/62 Swythamley Hall
Country house. Medieval hunting lodge foundation, early C19 core,
considerably enlarged circa 1897 by Phillip Brocklehurst. Coursed stone,
rock-faced quoins to late C19 work; slate roof hipped to late C19 parts.
Irregular plan and frontage with classical, Italianate and Jacobean
elements. Entrance front: of 4 main parts, and with continuous eaves,
cornice and blocking course which serves to unify structure; side
stacks. 2 storeys except to early C19 centre core with 3 gabled dormers
to gabled attic; 2 original gables to left half over C20 mullioned and
transomed bay windows and projecting flat-roofed porch to right half with
central flat-roofed 2-storey bay; 5-light mullion and transom window
to first floor and round-arch entry to ground flanked by tall cruciform
windows. South wing: to right of 3 windows (glazing bar sashes as are
all other remaining windows) with break to end bay and string at first
floor level, run round into 3-sided bay facing south. North pavilion:
of 3 windows and string at first floor level set forward from frontage
and linked to house by Italianate tower of 3 stages defined by strings
with 2 blind round-arched openings to top stage and door to base. A
fire of 1813 destroyed all of the original house except the 'new wing'
of which the left half is still visible in the entrance front. Interior:
early C19 top-lit stairs with enriched cornice to well.
Listing NGR: SJ9727264592
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings