History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Biddulph Grange

A Grade II* Listed Building in Biddulph, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1299 / 53°7'47"N

Longitude: -2.1623 / 2°9'44"W

OS Eastings: 389234

OS Northings: 359207

OS Grid: SJ892592

Mapcode National: GBR 12T.S55

Mapcode Global: WHBC7.RLHD

Entry Name: Biddulph Grange

Listing Date: 20 March 1974

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1037835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275207

Location: Biddulph, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST8

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Biddulph

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Biddulph St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Congleton

Listing Text

BIDDULPH C.P. BIDDULPH GRANGE
SJ 85 NE
7/2 Biddulph Grange
20.3.74
GV II*

Country house. The house of 1848-60 for John Bateman overlays an earlier
farmhouse; virtually replaced by the present grandiloquent mansion of
1897 by John Bower. The former is yellow brick and render with slate
roofs, the latter is built of sandstone ashlar with lead roofs and brick
chimneys. The style employed is a revived English Baroque. Garden front:
in 3 parts: the Main Elevation is 3 storeys rising in centre to attic
storey under pediment; second floor cill-string, cornice and parapet,
balustraded between sides and centre which have urn finials. 10-bay
front with outer and central 2-bay breaks flanked by pilasters, the centre
break has also a central pilaster. Glazing bar sashes in architraves,
cornices to first floor centre windows, antae to centre of window heads
of outer bays; alternate triangular and segmental pediments to ground
floor windows in pairs; understated entrance to left in architrave and
with bracketted cornice. Irregularly placed balustraded tower (?belvedere
or water tower) to right of centre and set back unbalances the composition.
To left, one of the surviving portions of Bateman's house, 2 storeys,
raised quoins, Italianate, irregular 2+2 window arrangement with 2 full-
height hipped square bays (tripartite windows); principal feature is the
projecting semi-circular-headed domed porch to left with paired columns
and full entablature marking the position of Bateman's study; the left-
hand wing is set back and has round-headed plate-glass sashes in rusticated
surrounds. To right, further projecting irregular bay of 2 round-arch
windows and corbelled balcony, decorative frieze and cornice all built
out over a garden path. Entrance front: 3 parts to right of 3 storeys
project progressively towards the centre and elaborate port-cochère round-
arched with twinned Corinthian columns set back from angles surmounted
by balustraded parapet with urn finials. Interior: the 1897 house has
a splendid staircase with massive marble Ionic columns embraced by semi-
circular bays of a balustraded landing and 3-tiered staircase behind with
stained glass lighting first landing; coffered ceiling to otherwise
plain hall. More important is Bateman's study to the south, French-
inspired. Parquet floor, part-mirrored walls, flat-domed centre to
ceiling and much gilt enrichment; pedimented doorcases. The room is
set behind the domed porch and over the cascade of steps (q.v.) which
lead out to Bateman's miniature landscape park. John Bateman, the
horticulturist, started Biddulph Grange in 1848 from an unpromising
farmhouse set in a marsh. He had already commenced his horticultural
career at his Father.'s house, Knypersley Hall (q.v.), notably the culture
of orchids. Although the architect of Biddulph Grange is unknown, much of
Bateman's enterprise was worked out with his friend, the painter E.W. Cooke,
with whom he shared a passion for ferns. Work was completed to both house
and gardens by 1860; Bateman, having exhausted his funds derived from his
Father's pump manufactury, was forced to relinquish it. Heath, a mine
owner purchased the house and had it considerably enlarged after a severe
fire, completing the work in 1897, the year of Bateman's death.


Listing NGR: SJ8923459207

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.