This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.951 / 52°57'3"N
Longitude: -1.9604 / 1°57'37"W
OS Eastings: 402755
OS Northings: 339296
OS Grid: SK027392
Mapcode National: GBR 37V.WR3
Mapcode Global: WHBD9.V2NZ
Entry Name: Orangery, Screen Wall and Potting Sheds Approximately 200 Metres North East of Heath House
Listing Date: 8 August 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274938
Location: Checkley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Checkley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Checkley St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 03 NW CHECKLEY C.P. HOLLINGTON ROAD
9/134 Orangery, screen wall and
potting sheds approx.
200m N. E. of Heath House
Orangery. Circa 1830 by James Trubshaw, Yellow sandstone
ashlar; curved hipped glazed roof on cast iron glazing bars. Single-storey
front on stepped plinth of five bays, the outer broken forward with pilasters
at angles, the inner divided by Ionic half columns all supporting a deep
frieze with lions head corbels and dentilled cornice with blocking course,
the centre of which has a raised step bearing a seated girl with a dog;
round-arched openings with moulded imposts and arch; console keystones,
small-pane French casements. Side elevations have one glazed bay of similar
style and rear (to north) a similar entrance, placed centrally beneath
frieze and cornice, in an otherwise plain facade. The main facade is
flanked by set back screen walls of approximately three bays of recessed
panels (for training fruit espaliers) and ended by piers, the rear sides
of the screens have slate roof, lean-to potting sheds, symmetrically
placed and each with two chamfered mullion windows and boarded door.
Interior: stone flagged floor and plastered walls (Part lost); the corbels
set high on the walls look like the support for a former roof but served
to hold fern baskets during the horticultural craze of the mid C19. The
orginal drawing of the orangery exists of 1829 and signed James Trubshaw.
Most of the scheme as executed is consistent except the screen walls were
intended to be longer and had urns as finials to the piers; also the central
sculpture was intended to be much larger and of a reclining figure.
Drawings in possession of Mrs Phillips, Heath House, at time of Resurvey
Listing NGR: SK0275539296
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings