History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hay House Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Ipstones, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0462 / 53°2'46"N

Longitude: -1.9877 / 1°59'15"W

OS Eastings: 400923

OS Northings: 349878

OS Grid: SK009498

Mapcode National: GBR 25J.28X

Mapcode Global: WHBCQ.FPQL

Entry Name: Hay House Farmhouse

Listing Date: 2 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274680

Location: Ipstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Ipstones

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Ipstones St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheddleton

Listing Text

IPSTONES C.P. BELMONT ROAD
SK 04 NW
(north side)
10/188 Hay House
Farmhouse
2.5.53

GV II

Farmhouse. Dated 1625 with late C18 addition and late C19 alterations.
Coursed dressed and squared stone; tiled roof; verge parapets on
corbelled kneelers, with pitched copings; parapet to left has
unusual corniced octagonal miniature chimney-shaped finial; corniced
octagonal twin-shafted ridge stack to right of centre (set over
former entrance); further stacks in valley. T-shaped plan with
C18 wing added to rear. 2-storey front in 2 parts: projecting wing
to right on plinth (and of greater storey heights with attic) has
labelled diamond-shaped attic light over labelled 3-light chamfered
mullioned window to first floor and ground floor window similar now
of 2 lights, formerly 4 with stepped label taken over datestone
inscribed: "1625". Long set-back wing to left of 3 windows has
first-floor windows set under eaves: 2 chamfered reveals to right
end, the left-hand of 3 lights with chamfered mullions; this window
is set over the only chamfered reveal on the ground floor now of
2 lights, formerly 4; heavy lintel to C20 casement, formerly entrance
set towards right end and C19 window and door in rebuilt section of
wall to left. Labelled chamfered reveals to left end. C18 front
to rear, symmetrical of 3 windows and central entrance with arched
solid stone hood. The cross wing has little roof remaining at time
of resurvey (March 1985).


Listing NGR: SK0092349878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.