This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.046 / 53°2'45"N
Longitude: -1.9934 / 1°59'36"W
OS Eastings: 400536
OS Northings: 349862
OS Grid: SK005498
Mapcode National: GBR 25J.0TF
Mapcode Global: WHBCQ.BPZQ
Entry Name: Chapel House
Listing Date: 3 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038039
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274691
Location: Ipstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Ipstones
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Ipstones St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
IPSTONES C.P. BELMONT ROAD
SK 04 NW
10/199 Chapel House
House, intended as a church but never completed as such. Circa 1790
by John Sneyd of Belmont Hall (q.v.). Coursed dressed and squared
stone; tiled roofs; side stack to east. West tower, nave and chancel
under continuous ridge. West tower: unfinished 3-stage buttresses to
2 stages of tower capped by pyramidal roof and 2 Y-tracery windows to
north side. Nave and chancel: fenestrated to west half with 3 windows,
block mullioned casements of full height with transom to left and in 2
tiers of 2 and one lights to right; east window pointed and labelled
of 4 lights with geometric tracery. Entrance to south. The 'church'
was built on the instigation of John Sneyd who had argued with the
incumbent of St Leonards (q.v.) and set out to construct his own church;
the altercation was settled before the building was complete and
presumably converted to a dwelling at that time.
Listing NGR: SK0053649862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings