History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ipstones, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0492 / 53°2'57"N

Longitude: -1.9748 / 1°58'29"W

OS Eastings: 401784

OS Northings: 350219

OS Grid: SK017502

Mapcode National: GBR 25B.ZF7

Mapcode Global: WHBCQ.MMT7

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038044

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274708

Location: Ipstones, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST10

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Ipstones

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Ipstones St Leonard

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheddleton

Listing Text

IPSTONES C.P. CHURCH LANE, Stocks Green
SK 05 SW
(north side)
6/216 Church of St Leonard
3.1.67

GV II

Parish church. Constructed 1789-92 at the expense of the Sneyd family,
and extended 1902-3 by Gerald Horsley. Sandstone ashlar; part tile,
part stone slate roof concealed at eaves by crenellation. Tower, nave
with south porch and chancel. Tower: of 3 stages, banded at each stage
and with angle buttresses of 4 stages dying into pilasters at bell
chamber level and carried up to pinnacles above a crenellated parapet;
Y-tracery bell chamber openings formerly taller, now part blocked,
4-light (2 outer now blocked) west window with panel tracery, trefoil
lights and Tudor-arched head. Nave: of 4 bays divided by 3-stage
buttresses, bands at cill and eaves level; Y-tracery windows; south-
west window part-obscured by gabled porch and with oval plaque over
dated 1790; further segmental pedimented plaque to south-east bay
with fluted urn to tympanum. Chancel: by Horsley of 1902-3; one
bay with 3-sided canted east end; angles surmounted by crocketed
pinnacles; Tudor arch, 4-light east window with curvilinear tracery
and low-relief crucifixion over.


Listing NGR: SK0178450219

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.