History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ashes

A Grade II* Listed Building in Endon and Stanley, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0876 / 53°5'15"N

Longitude: -2.1035 / 2°6'12"W

OS Eastings: 393164

OS Northings: 354486

OS Grid: SJ931544

Mapcode National: GBR 24S.H07

Mapcode Global: WHBCG.NNJC

Entry Name: The Ashes

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274632

Location: Endon and Stanley, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST9

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Endon and Stanley

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Endon St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Endon

Listing Text

ENDON & STANLEY C.P. GRATTON LANE
SJ 95 SW
(east side)
4/141
The Ashes
22.10.52

GV II*

Farmhouse. C17 with early C18 alterations. Coursed squared and dressed
stone of ashlar quality; tiled roof; verge parapets with pitched copings;
stone side stacks and massive stack to rear of twin diagonally-set shafts.
H-plan of classic C17-type entered via parlour wing with farm entry into
side of cross-wing. 2 storeys, attic and cellar, front of 2 projecting
gables flanking central recess. Finer, C17 gable to left, deep plinth and
cavetto strings at floor levels; labelled 3-light chamfered mullioned
window to attic over 5-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground
and first floors; small 3-light mullioned window visible to cellar; right-
hand wing refaced early C18; block mullioned 4-light ground- and first-
floor windows; entrance to left side with Tuscan doorcase, the cornice
surmounted by ball finials on diamond-panel pedestals; boarded door;
centre recess also refaced in C18, with 3-light block mullioned windows, on
the first floor placed centrally and the ground offset to left. The rear
elevation has a complete C17 front, the south wing having 2 windows to each
floor, transomed and mullioned to ground floor, 5 mullioned windows to
remainder. Side elevation to north also complete C17, with boarded door
into yard. The side-of-cross-wing entry became common in parlour-
orientated C17 houses in this area, the hall entry diminished in importance
and in this instance (frequent in the locality) non-existent. The house
forms part of a complete and little-altered C17-C18 group. Interior: not
inspected, but likely to be of interest.


Listing NGR: SJ9316454486

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.