History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hazlehurst Aqueduct

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheddleton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0798 / 53°4'47"N

Longitude: -2.0697 / 2°4'10"W

OS Eastings: 395428

OS Northings: 353626

OS Grid: SJ954536

Mapcode National: GBR 24T.ZGZ

Mapcode Global: WHBCH.5VP9

Entry Name: Hazlehurst Aqueduct

Listing Date: 3 January 1967

Last Amended: 15 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038095

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274529

Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Cheddleton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cheddleton

Listing Text

CHEDDLETON C.P. CALDON CANAL
SJ 95 SE
5/40 Hazlehurst Aqueduct
3.1.67

- II

Aqueduct. Dated 1841. Painted brickwork with stone dressings.
Single round arch (including towpath) with several bands to extrados,
inset spandrel panels finished at centre by inscribed plaque:
"HAZLEHURST/AQUEDUCT/1841". Parapet over, on corbels; the sides
of the parapet and main face are swept round in a curve and tapered
down to piers to take the embankment of the upper (Leek Branch)
canal. The Leek Branch of the Caldon Canal was opened circa 1801,
John Rennie engineer. The Caldon Canal which it crosses was opened
circa 1779. The early surveys of the main canal were done in 1772
by James Brindley, but upon his untimely death the work was taken
over by Rennie. The Leek Branch was built to take cheaper coal to
Leek, the main canal took limestone from Caldon Low to the
Potteries.


Listing NGR: SJ9542853626

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.