This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.071 / 53°4'15"N
Longitude: -2.0428 / 2°2'34"W
OS Eastings: 397229
OS Northings: 352636
OS Grid: SJ972526
Mapcode National: GBR 252.DCF
Mapcode Global: WHBCP.L2GK
Entry Name: North Mill to Cheddleton Flint Mill
Listing Date: 15 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038107
English Heritage Legacy ID: 274557
Location: Cheddleton, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, ST13
District: Staffordshire Moorlands
Civil Parish: Cheddleton
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddleton St Edward the Confessor
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
CHEDDLETON C.P. CHEADLE ROAD
13/67 North mill to
- Cheddleton Flint Mill
Water mill for grinding flint. 1756-65, possibly by Brindley. Red
brick with sandstone quoins; tiled roof. 2-storey, single-window
west front with segmental-headed cast-iron casement to first floor
set over wide segmental-headed boarded door; lean-to to left; timber
and cast-iron undershot wheel to right-hand gable set in a mill race
taken off the River Churnet and shared with the South Mill (q.v.).
The mill forms part of a complex including furnaces and drying kilns
(q.v.), all set in a close and attractive group. Flint was fired,
ground in the mills and bake-dried to form 'slop', an admixture to
produce more durable and finely-textured tile and pottery used by the
nearby 5 towns in the C19.
Listing NGR: SJ9722952636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings