History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longnor, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1819 / 53°10'54"N

Longitude: -1.8686 / 1°52'6"W

OS Eastings: 408879

OS Northings: 364984

OS Grid: SK088649

Mapcode National: GBR 358.GDT

Mapcode Global: WHCDB.89G1

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 274271

Location: Longnor, Staffordshire Moorlands, Staffordshire, SK17

County: Staffordshire

District: Staffordshire Moorlands

Civil Parish: Longnor

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Longnor St Bartholomew

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longnor

Listing Text

SK 06 SE LONGNOR C.P. CHURCH STREET

5/57 Church of Saint Bartholomew
-
1.2.67
GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1781, on earlier site. Coursed stone and ashlar facings;
blue slate roof; verge parapets. Tower, and nave and chancel in one.
Tower: of four stages, raised chamfered quoins, bands between stages;
block crenellated parapet and pinnacles. Single-light, round-arched, block-
dressed windows; with 'Y' tracery to bell chamber and stone louvres; blind
arched to middle stage; round-arched west door, rusticated surround and
double doors. Nave: of 5 bays and two tiers of round-arched windows; quoins,
bands at cill and springing levels of both tiers, moulded eaves and blocking
course; fixed small-pane lights, moulded arched heads and keystone, smaller
to upper level; (centre window south side, formerly entrance). Rough-faced
masonry to east ends, Serlian window with round arch over. Interior: tower-
porch to nave without aisles incorporating chancel, plain ceiled; break
fronted gallery on turned columns; Serlian east window in arched rebate,
radial foliage plasterwork over. Pulpit: C19, pine, boarded. Font: C12
or earlier; of chalice shape in gritstone, rough carved low-relief figure-
and faces within shields. Georgian coat of arms fixed to gallery in swan-
necked frame.


Listing NGR: SK0887964984

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.