History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tatenhill, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7959 / 52°47'45"N

Longitude: -1.6967 / 1°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 420544

OS Northings: 322076

OS Grid: SK205220

Mapcode National: GBR 4CG.PTY

Mapcode Global: WHCG4.XZ6H

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 12 March 1964

Last Amended: 8 September 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038433

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273668

Location: Tatenhill, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Tatenhill

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Tatenhill St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Branston

Listing Text

SK22SW TATENHILL MAIN STREET (east side )

6/89 Church of St Michael 12.3.1964

GV II*

Parish church. C13 core substantially altered and extended C15; restored by Bodley circa 1890. Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone, tiled roof. Tower, nave and chancel.
TOWER: C15 of 3 stages; diagonal buttresses of 3 stages to west only; string. set at buttresses head level; moulded coved string below crenellated parapet. Labelled 2-light pointed bell chamber openings with panel tracery; single-light to centre stage south; round-arched 4-light west window has transoms with round arches to lights.
NAVE: of C13 fabric; 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses; deep square-head, cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows with arched lights; 2 Tudor-arched single lights over late C19 timber framed gabled porch; south door C13 steeply arched, fillet mouldings on 3 tiers of columns; pointed door to north side opposite.
CHANCEL: lower than nave, mainly C15, of 3 bays (larger east bay), again divided by 3-stage buttresses, deeply rebated, 3-centred-arched cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows; trefoil heads to lights and some panel tracery; cills continued as strings; restored S- light pointed east window; pointed Priest door under centre bay, south side.
INTERIOR: pointed moulded arch to chancel, C19 nave roof with tie, king post and diagonal braces to boarding with circle motifs.
CHANCEL: brat ti shed ties and ogee bracing to trusses, boarding with cusped decoration. Floor in black and white marble of Bodley's design, stepped down to chancel.
PULPIT: in oak with figures also late C19. FONT: C13, stone circular bowl dying into columns at base. Piscina and sedilia, trefoil-headed of 4 bays.

MONUMENTS: Mrs Griffiths, died 1641, stone; kneeling woman set between pilasters under break fronted cornices and oval panel below. GLASS: East window by Ward & Hughes.

Formerly listed as:
TATENHILL C.P. POSTERN ROAD
SK 22 SW
(east side)
6/89
Church of
12.3.64 St Michael
GV
II*

Parish church. C13 core substantially altered and extended C15; restored
by Bodley circa 1890. Coursed, dressed and squared sandstone, tiled roof.
Tower, nave and chancel. Tower: C15 of 3 stages; diagonal buttresses of
3 stages to west only; string set at buttress head level; moulded coved
string below crenellated parapet. Labelled 2-light pointed bell chamber
openings with panel tracery; single-light to centre stage south; round-
arched 4-light west window has transoms with round arches to lights. Nave:
of C13 fabric; 4 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses; deep square-head,
cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows with arched lights; 2
Tudor-arched single lights over late C19 timber framed gabled porch; south
door C13 steeply arched, fillet mouldings on 3 tiers of columns; pointed
door to north side opposite. Chancel: lower than nave, mainly C15, of 3
bays (larger east bay), again divided by 3-stage buttresses; deeply rebated,
3-centred-arched cavetto mullioned and transomed 4-light windows; trefoil
heads to lights and some panel tracery; cills continued as strings; restored
5-light pointed east window; pointed Priest door under centre bay, south
side. Interior: pointed moulded arch to chancel, C19 nave roof with tie,
king post and diagonal braces to boarding with circle motifs. Chancel:
brattished ties and ogee bracing to trusses, boarding with cusped decoration.
Floor in black and white marble of Bodley's design, stepped down to chancel.
Pulpit: in oak with figures also late C19. Font: C13, stone circular bowl
dying into columns at base. Piscina and sedilia, trefoil-headed of 4 bays.
Monuments: Mrs Griffiths, died 1641, stone; kneeling woman set between
pilasters under break fronted cornice and oval panel below. Glass: East
window by Ward & Hughes. B.o.E.

Listing NGR: SK2054422076

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.