This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8474 / 52°50'50"N
Longitude: -1.7455 / 1°44'43"W
OS Eastings: 417237
OS Northings: 327795
OS Grid: SK172277
Mapcode National: GBR 4BT.HHW
Mapcode Global: WHCFY.5P2H
Entry Name: St Werburgh's School
Listing Date: 26 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038453
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273616
Location: Hanbury, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE13
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Hanbury
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Hanbury St Werburgh
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
HANBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE
SK 12 NE
2/37 St Werburgh's
School. Dated 1848 by Fradgley of Uttoxeter, slightly altered in C20.
Red brick with stone dressings and details; banded, pattern-tile roof;
verge parapets; diagonal-fronted ridge stacks. H-plan; Tudor style.
Single-storey and attic, 4-window front; projecting flanking gables
have large 4-light (stepped-in to 2-light at head) stone mullion and
transom small-pane casement windows placed centrally under blind reveal
carved in low-relief straps and shields (the left gable has a later attic
window in the apex). Central recess has gabled stone dormers to either
side placed over 3-light stone mullioned windows; prominent square
projecting bell tower to centre rises to 2 storeys, roofed in stone blocks
and capped by octagonal bell cote with small Tudor-arch opening to each
face; slit window to centre of upper stage, over scrolled inscription
plaque and Tudor-arched entrance now with C20 glazed door.
Listing NGR: SK1723727795
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings