This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.859 / 52°51'32"N
Longitude: -1.6878 / 1°41'16"W
OS Eastings: 421118
OS Northings: 329107
OS Grid: SK211291
Mapcode National: GBR 5D1.L47
Mapcode Global: WHCFZ.1DKJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 March 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273480
Location: Tutbury, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE13
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Tutbury
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Tutbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
5369 TUTBURY CHURCH STREET
SK 2028 4/1 --------------
Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C13 fabric and the most important in the county, with chancel and
apsidal sanctuary replaced in 1866 by G E Street. South tower probably added C16.
North aisle an addition of 1820-2 by Joseph B H Bennett. Stone with slate roof.
Notable west front of circa 1160-70 which has a fine doorway of 7 orders, the
outermost order being of alabaster, the earliest known use of the material in
England. The south aisle retains a Norman doorway having much-weathered tympanum
carving depicting a boar hunt. The interior contains little of interest.
Listing NGR: SK2111729102
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings