History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Catherine

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Telford and Wrekin

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.73 / 52°43'48"N

Longitude: -2.5183 / 2°31'5"W

OS Eastings: 365097

OS Northings: 314835

OS Grid: SJ650148

Mapcode National: GBR BV.10QC

Mapcode Global: WH9CW.9M2Y

Entry Name: Church of St. Catherine

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038622

English Heritage Legacy ID: 362109

Location: Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Telford and Wrekin, TF6

County: Telford and Wrekin

Civil Parish: Eyton upon the Weald Moors

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wellington All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Admaston

Listing Text

EYTON-UPON-THE-WEALD-MOORS Church of St Catherine
1.
5362

SJ 61 SE 28/224 18.6.59

II* GV


2.
Dated 1743. Small Georgian red brick church with red sandstone dressings and new
tile roof. Nave with 3 round arched north and south windows with keyblocks impost
and continuous cill ban, and a moulded stone eaves cornice with continues around
the polygonal apse of the cast end and the tower at the west end. The nave, apse
and tower have long and short stone quoins. The apse was added in 1850 in same
style with a round arched east window. The tower is in 3 stages with stringcourses
and round arched window and bell-openings. Restored stone doorway at base of tower
on west side with panelled pilasters and keyblocks with circular window and date-
stone above. The nave windows have also been restored.
Interior: Gallery at west end has panelled front with pilasters. Fielded panelling
in the apse with fluted pilasters and entablature. Panelled dado in nave and panelled
box-pews. Simple benches in the gallery. Contemporary pulpit. Communion rail has
moulded balusters. C15-16 fragments of stained glass in north window. East window
of 1855-60.


Listing NGR: SJ6509714835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.