This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8026 / 52°48'9"N
Longitude: -1.6546 / 1°39'16"W
OS Eastings: 423379
OS Northings: 322839
OS Grid: SK233228
Mapcode National: GBR 5DV.8GS
Mapcode Global: WHCG5.KT9B
Entry Name: Malthouse Number 7 at Former Bass Shobnall Maltings
Listing Date: 22 June 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038715
English Heritage Legacy ID: 273030
Location: Shobnall, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Shobnall
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Burton-on-Trent All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Malthouse No 7 at
former Bass Shobnall Maltings
SK 22 SW 6/132
1873-77. Part of vast maltings designed by William Canning, Bass Company Engineer.
Long range of 4 storeys with 20 unequal bays. 13 bays containing the germinating
floors, 3 bays of kilns and barley garner and screens of 4 bays. The maltings
are built of red brick with blue brick dressings, stone string courses and
parapet copings. Each bay is accented by giant arched recesses creating effect
of giant arcade. Hipped tiled roofs. Gabled grain hoists with cast iron brackets
to centre of gable ends and of germinating floors. Gables to kilns and louvred
clerestory with metal cowls above. Triple gabled end elevation, arcading and
details returned. Internally the floors are supported on massive soft wood
joists by cast iron columns. Original quarry tile flooring with perforated
tiles to the kiln floor. No 7 is the last surviving unaltered floor malthouse
of the Bass Shobnall Maltings.
Listing NGR: SK2337922838
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings