This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.802 / 52°48'7"N
Longitude: -1.6292 / 1°37'45"W
OS Eastings: 425092
OS Northings: 322784
OS Grid: SK250227
Mapcode National: GBR 5DW.8X4
Mapcode Global: WHCG5.YTBR
Entry Name: Assembly Rooms
Listing Date: 22 June 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272957
Location: Burton, East Staffordshire, Staffordshire, DE14
District: East Staffordshire
Civil Parish: Burton
Built-Up Area: Burton upon Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Burton-on-Trent St Modwen
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 2522 NW BURTON UPON TRENT FRIAR'S WALK
944/3/56 Assembly Rooms
Former Grammar School. Established c1537, shortly before the dissolution of the Abbey, with which it was associated. The school occupied a building on the present site before 1757, which may have been late C16 and may have incorporated earlier fabric. This building was extended and reconstructed in 1834. The Grammar School moved to other premises in 1877, and the building became assembly rooms. It was comprehensively restored and extended in 1959-61 by Armstrong & Falgate. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs without stacks. Plinth, dentillated eaves, and shouldered coped gables. Windows are mainly C19 stone mullioned casements, some renewed in concrete, 1959. 2 storeys. 1:3:1 bays.
Central square ashlar porch, probably C16, with Tudor arched opening converted c1959 to a 3-light mullioned window, with an inscribed tablet. On either side, 3-light windows linked by a moulded string course. Above, three 3-light windows, that in the centre with a label mould. In the central gable, a datestone inscribed "1834". Projecting gabled end bays have Tudor arched openings, that to left with C19 double doors and overlight, that to right with a 3-light window. Above, 2-light windows with label moulds.
To left, an addition, c1959, 2 storeys, with a shallow full-width mullioned window under a string course, and blank upper floor.
At the rear, extensive additions, 1959, single storey, and a flat roofed stair enclosure. On the ground floor, C19 door and mullioned window, and a C19 cast iron glazing bar casement. Above, 2 larger cast iron casements.
INTERIOR: Entrance hall has concrete open well staircase, 1959. Ground floor has to north a stone wall, rendered C20, with plinth and splayed window opening converted to a cupboard. . Two blocked corner fireplaces. Late C20 partitions and fittings. First floor hall has two blocked fireplaces on the rear wall. Exposed king post truss roof with struts and double purlins.
Radford, GE. Deus Nobiscum: a history of Burton Grammar School 1973.
Meeson, R. Time and Place: medieval carpentry in Staffordshire 1994.
Listing NGR: SK2509222784
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings