History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Colton House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Colton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7817 / 52°46'54"N

Longitude: -1.9286 / 1°55'43"W

OS Eastings: 404910

OS Northings: 320464

OS Grid: SK049204

Mapcode National: GBR 3B0.R5K

Mapcode Global: WHBF3.BBVS

Entry Name: Colton House

Listing Date: 9 March 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272866

Location: Colton, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Colton

Built-Up Area: Colton (Lichfield)

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Colton St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Rugeley

Listing Text

COLTON C.P. Bellamour Way (south
SK 02 SW side)

1/20 Colton House and
attached walls and
9.3.53 piers

- II*

House, walls and piers. Circa 1730. Red brick (Flemish bond) and
painted plaster dressings; hipped plain tile roofs; brick ridge stacks.
Main block of 2 storeys and attic and slightly lower 2 storey flanking
wings; rusticated quoins and coved eaves. 2:5:2 window front; 12-
pane sashes with moulded sills, exposed sash boxes and shaped plaster
lintels with raised keys; central first floor window has a moulded plaster
surround. 3 inserted attic dormers with flat roofs. A flight of
steps leads up to a central 6-panel door with Doric pilasters, open
pediment and fanlight with radiating glazing bars. Attached to each
side of the house is a stone coped brick wall which sweeps forward to
terminate in a square pier with ball finial. To the rear is a full
height bow window of circa 1800 with tripartite stone mullioned windows
containing glazing bar sashes. Interior. Entrance hall with plaster
cornice and a 3-centred archway which gives access to an open-well staircase
with open string and carved tread ends, barley sugar twist balusters
incorporating square knots, a ramped and wreathed handrail, and a panelled
oak dado. Front room to ground floor left has oak wall panelling of
more than one date with a cyma recta moulded cornice and C18 panelled
window shutters. Front room to first floor left has a C18 polished
limestone fireplace with wooden egg and dart moulded surround and a
cast iron grate; plaster dentilled cornice. Front room to first floor
right has an C18 polished limestone fireplace with lugged surround and
cast iron grate. The rear rooms which were extended by the addition
of the bow window have C19 decorative plaster ceilings.


Listing NGR: SK0491020464

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.