History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hamstall Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hamstall Ridware, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7717 / 52°46'18"N

Longitude: -1.8457 / 1°50'44"W

OS Eastings: 410507

OS Northings: 319354

OS Grid: SK105193

Mapcode National: GBR 3BB.85N

Mapcode Global: WHCG8.ML9J

Entry Name: Hamstall Hall

Listing Date: 9 March 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038777

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272875

Location: Hamstall Ridware, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS15

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Hamstall Ridware

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Hamstall Ridware St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Hamstall Ridware

Listing Text

HAMSTALL RIDWARE C.P. BLITHBURY ROAD (north-
SK 1019-1119 east side)

12/29
Hamstall Hall
9.3.53

GV II*

Mansion remains. C15 core with extensive alterations of the late C16
and later. Red brick of at least three periods suggesting gradual
replacement of the earlier timber framing; plain tile roof, massive
brick ridge stack. By the end of the C18 Hamstall Hall comprised an
essentially late C16 complex of buildings concentrated in the south
corner of a large rectangular courtyard aligned north-west/south-east.
The main approach was by way of a gatehouse (q.v.) in the centre of
the north-west wall. A C15 tower (q.v.) stood at the south-east corner
and was formerly linked to the main house. The existing remains consist
of an L-shaped range which occupies the south-east half of the south-
west side of the courtyard, a short wing at it's south-east corner links
it with an elaborate porch. South-west front. 2 storeys and attic
with C16 brickwork to ground storey and C18 brickwork to second storey.
8 roof bays. Irregular fenestration of C18/C19 casements. Blocked
C16 doorway to the left with Tudor arch and sunken spandrels. Boarded
door to left of centre. Large gabled wing to the right with stone
quoins as high as the off-set second storey, and C19 brick gable.
Set-back to the left of the wing is a smaller C18 gabled projection
with door to the right-hand side and a small lean-to extension to the
left. To the rear of the building are 4 blocked C16 doorways with
Tudor arches, one has panelled spandrels. South-east front. South-
west wing to the left with C19 glazed door and porch, flanked on the
right hand side by a brick and stone buttress; 2 jambs of a blocked
first floor window directly above. The wing has 2 phases of early brickwork
in English bond with a toothed eaves band. Attached to the right is
the gable end of the main range with ground storey in English bond of
the same build as the wing, and C18 brickwork above; 2 single-light
windows with chamfered stone surrounds, to the ground storey, 2 casements
at first floor level and one at attic level. A shaft, single-storey
wing, formerly the brewhouse continues the ground storey phase of brickwork
to the right and is terminated by the Porch. This is a late C16 brick
building with ashlar quoins and dressings and coped gable on shaped
kneelers. 2 storeys and attic with attic cornice. Central portico
with Tuscan columns, supporting a balcony with strapwork balustrade.
First floor doorway and flanking windows all with keyed semi-circular
arches springing from imposts. In the gable a strapwork embellished
oval oculus. 2-storey lean-to bay to the left of the same build with
4-light chamfer mullioned windows in rebated surrounds, the first floor
window is blocked. Ground and first floor cross windows to the right
hand return with semi-circular heads and roll and fillet moulded keystones,
possibly re-used. Interior. The porch has a stone fireplace with
4-centred head, corbelled lintel and moulded surround. The kitchen
is at the north-west end of the main range. In the south-west wall
is a massive C16 stone fireplace with shouldered arch and chamfered
surround. Network of massive chamfered and stopped ceiling beams with
chamfered joists laid flat. Opposed entrances (now blocked) at the
north-west end of the room and some evidence that the passage was screened
off from the kitchen. Also a blocked doorway in the south-east corner
of the room. The bay next to the kitchen is occupied by a chimney
stack, a small pantry and a rear entrance lobby. Beyond this is a
room with C17 oak panelling. Between this room and the south-west wing
is a former through-passage with exposed timber framing. The passage
gives access to a late C17 staircase with turned balusters and panelled
dado and to 2 rooms within the south-west wing. The front room is
completely oak panelled and contains a wall cupboard with semi-circular
arch and raised key; ovolo-moulded ceiling beam. The rear room retains
a C16 stone fireplace with chamfered Tudor arch on corbels. First
floor. Exposed close-studded wall framing in the north-west end wall
probably C15 incorporating a later window with ogee-moulded mullions.
C17 oak wall panelling. The adjoining room to the south-east has C17
oak wall panelling, a Tudor arch fireplace and a smaller chamber ensuite,
also completely oak panelled with a carved frieze of dragons. More
panelling in the next room to the south-east including a cupboard door
with part of a late medieval painting on the back. Hamstall Hall was
the home of the Fitzherberts from the early C16 and much of the C16
building work was probably carried out for Thomas Fitzherbert
The Porch is scheduled as an Ancient Monument. B.o.E. p. 140; Stebbing
Shaw, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire, vol. 1 (1798) p.
157. I.M. Ferris, 'A Survey of Hamstall Hall, Staffordshire' South Staffordshire Archaeolo-
gical and Historical Society Transactions vol. XXVI (1984-5) pp. 44-75.


Listing NGR: SK1050219366

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.