This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6945 / 52°41'40"N
Longitude: -1.6517 / 1°39'6"W
OS Eastings: 423635
OS Northings: 310811
OS Grid: SK236108
Mapcode National: GBR 5G6.36X
Mapcode Global: WHCGR.LJPP
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Michael and St James
Listing Date: 29 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272757
Location: Clifton Campville, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79
Civil Parish: Clifton Campville
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Clifton Campville St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SK 21 SW CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P. HAUNTON
2/6 R.C. Church of St.
Michael and St.
R.C. church. Mainly 1901-2 by Edmund Kirby, chancel of 1885. Ashlar;
plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Cruciform, 3-bay nave with
south porch, 2-bay chancel, single-bay transepts. Nave: to the west
a group of 3 graded lancets, below each is a trefoil headed window,
pilaster buttresses flank each window; north and south windows of 3
trefoil headed lights. Gabled north porch with king-post roof and diagonal
braces; inside double half glazed doors in a wooden screen lead to a
segmental pointed doorway with 2 massive half-roll orders. Transepts:
east and west windows similar to those of the nave, transomed north
window; square headed south door with roll moulded surround. Chancel:
3 lancets to the east under a common hood mould; 3-light south window,
2-light and single-light north windows, all have trefoiled heads. Interior:
pointed chancel arch flanked by 2 pointed niches containing images of
Christ and of Mary and Child; ribbed segmental arch to north transept;
scissor braced roof trusses. Fittings: font in a Romanesque style rectangular
basin with blind arcading containing mythical creatures stands on 4
slim columns with cable moulding. Octagonal wooden pulpit with panelled
and traceried sides. Stained glass: all nave windows, east window and
all the north transept windows have early C20 glass. B.O.E. p.148;
Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1904) p.131.
Listing NGR: SK2363510811
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings