History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Croxall Hall and Attached Garden Wall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edingale, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7211 / 52°43'15"N

Longitude: -1.7102 / 1°42'36"W

OS Eastings: 419670

OS Northings: 313750

OS Grid: SK196137

Mapcode National: GBR 4DF.DF6

Mapcode Global: WHCGJ.PVTV

Entry Name: Croxall Hall and Attached Garden Wall

Listing Date: 9 February 1953

Last Amended: 29 October 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272781

Location: Edingale, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Edingale

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Croxall cum Oakley St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Alrewas

Listing Text

SK 11 SE EDINGALE C.P. CROXALL

1/29 Croxall Hall and attached
9.2.53 garden wall (formerly listed
as Croxall Hall and dovecote)
GV II*


Large house. Late C16, restored and enlarged in 1868 by Joseph Potter
of Lichfield. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar dressings;
plain tile roofs with coped verges on shaped kneelers; brick end stacks
and ridge stacks, some with C16 octagonal shafts. Formerly a U-shaped
house with hall range of 2 parallel blocks aligned east-west facing
north and wings to the east and west enclosing 3 sides of a northern
courtyard, the west wing was destroyed by fire in 1942. Service extensions
of 1868 are attached to the north-east corner of the east wing and enclose
3 sides of a northern courtyard. The C16 garden wall is attached to
these buildings and extends northwards for approximately 150 yards.
The C16 details are entirely Gothic. Main house: north front: hall
range to the right, east wing at right angles to e left. Hall range:
2 storeys on coped plinth; 1:1:1 bays, central gabled 2 storey porch
and central 4-centred arch door with ogee and hollow chamfer moulding
and a returned hood mould; 2 shields above, to left and right, first
floor window of 4 transomed lights with chamfered mullions and transom
and returned hood mould, blind quatrefoil in the gable. To each side
of the porch are 2 ground floor windows of 3 lights and one first floor
window of 5-lights, all windows have hollow chamfered mullions and transoms,
the ground floor windows have returned hood moulds. East wing: 2 storeys;
1:1:1 bays, central gabled break. Transomed windows of 5 lights to
ground floor left and of 3 lights to first floor left and right, the
2 latter are partly within small gables and have blind shields over.
Mullioned windows of 2 lights to ground floor , of 3 lights to ground
floor right and first floor centre and of 5 lights to ground floor right
of centre. Windows to centre and to ground floor left have returned
hood moulds, those to first floor left and right have straight hood
moulds. South front: 2 storeys on coped plinth with first floor and
eaves bands; 2:1:2 bays, central gabled break dominated by a 2-storey
bay window with crenellated parapet. The lights of the ground floor
windows are in a rhythm of 5:2:6:2:5, those of the first floor windows
3:2:6:2:3, there is an extra single light first floor window to the
centre of the right-hand side. Corner stack to the right with C19 star
shaped shafts. Service courtyard: single-storey central range flanked
by projecting wings to left and right. Central range: 1:1:1 bays, central
gabled break. Transomed windows of 4 lights to centre and of 3 lights
to the right, 2-light mullioned window and square head door to the left.
Left hand range: 4-light transomed window to right of centre, segmental
head door to left, square head door to right, block door to left of
centre. Right hand range: 4-centred arch door to the left; the range
is terminated to the right by an octagonal building with mullioned windows
and hipped roof surmounted by a weather vane. Attached to the north
side of this building is a C16 brick garden wall with stone coping,
incorporating a doorway to the south with Tudor arch, sunken spandrels,
double hollow chamfered surround and returned hood mould; towards the
centre is a garden gateway flanked by square piers with moulded caps
and ball finials. Interior: C16 plaster ceiling in the hall range;
square panels with rounded lobes, some containing pendants, others a
central rose, the border decorated with foliage and fruit. In the same
room 2 C19 stone fireplaces.


Listing NGR: SK1967013750

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.