History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Black and White Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Elford, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6919 / 52°41'30"N

Longitude: -1.723 / 1°43'22"W

OS Eastings: 418815

OS Northings: 310501

OS Grid: SK188105

Mapcode National: GBR 4DS.95N

Mapcode Global: WHCGQ.HLQP

Entry Name: Black and White Cottage

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038895

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272556

Location: Elford, Lichfield, Staffordshire, B79

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Elford

Built-Up Area: Elford

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Elford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Alrewas

Listing Text

SK 1810-1910 ELFORD C.P. CHURCH ROAD (North-east
side)

10/69 Black and White Cottage
GV II

House. C17 with later additions. Timber framed with brick infill;
plain tile roof; brick integral end stacks. Formerly a single-cell
house aligned north-east/south-west facing north-west, C20 extension
to the north-east replacing a timber framed lean-to. C17 house to
the right, early C20 extension to the left. C17 house: 2 storeys
and attic, the upper floors are lit from the gable end, 3 square
panels to eaves and slightly curved braces; one casement with latticed
panes to ground floor left; central Victorian timber framed porch with
iron gate. C20 extension: 2 storeys, 2 windows, ground floor bay
window to left under a canopy, extended to the right to shelter a door.
The extension incorporates reused timber probably from the former lean-
to. The right hand (south-west) gable has an exposed roof truss with
3 vertical struts between collar and tie beam. Old photograph showing
the former lean-to in possession of the occupier at time of resurvey
(September 1985).


Listing NGR: SK1881510501

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.