History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Swan and Attached Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Fradley and Streethay, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7237 / 52°43'25"N

Longitude: -1.7937 / 1°47'37"W

OS Eastings: 414032

OS Northings: 314030

OS Grid: SK140140

Mapcode National: GBR 4D9.9B1

Mapcode Global: WHCGH.FS3S

Entry Name: The Swan and Attached Buildings

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038914

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272497

Location: Fradley and Streethay, Lichfield, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Fradley and Streethay

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Find accommodation in
Alrewas

Listing Text

SK 11 SW ALREWAS C.P. FRADLEY JUNCTION

3/11 The Swan and attached
- buildings
GV II

Inn, cottages and former warehouse. Circa 1770's. Red brick; slate
roof; brick ridge stack and integral end stacks. Aligned north-east/
south-west. facing south-east. 2 storeys; slightly irregular
fenestration but essentially 4:3:4 bays, casements with segmental heads,
central pedimented break, former warehouse to the left, inn and attached
cottage to the right. Central break has 3 segmental-headed arches at
ground-floor level leading to a central door, and a central first-floor
door; the former warehouse has a large double door to the left, and a
door to the right, both with segmental heads and a first floor door to
the left; the inn has a bay window to ground floor left, with hipped
roof, and a central door with pedimented porch, the attached cottage
has a half-glazed door. Mid-to-late C19 cottage attached to the
south-west (left) end facing south-west; 2 storeys; 3 windows,
segmental headed casements; central door. The Swan and its attached
buildings are the most prominent of an interesting group of structures
at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and Coventry canals. The Trent
and Mersey canal was completed in 1777; the surveyor-general was
James Brindley. Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979).


Listing NGR: SK1403214030

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.