History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Alrewas, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.7348 / 52°44'5"N

Longitude: -1.7531 / 1°45'11"W

OS Eastings: 416769

OS Northings: 315267

OS Grid: SK167152

Mapcode National: GBR 4D5.FMG

Mapcode Global: WHCGJ.1JG9

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 20 November 1986

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1038926

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272525

Location: Alrewas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Alrewas

Built-Up Area: Alrewas

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Alrewas All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

SK 1615-1715 ALREWAS C.P. MILL END LANE (East side)

9/39 Church of all Saints

Parish Church. C13, replacing an earlier church, additions of the C14
and the C16 and of 1891. Large coursed and squared sandstone blocks;
lead roofs of low pitch. West tower, 3-bay nave with transepts and
south porch, 3-bay chancel. West tower: C14, 3 stages with angle
buttresses dying into the second stage, hollow chamfered parapet string
and crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials; West door of
circa 1200, 2 roll-moulded orders springing from nook shafts with
palmette capitals,and 2-leaf nail studded door with inscribed geometrical
pattern made up of diamond shapes incorporating the initials T.R.I. and
W.M.B. and the date 1622, and flamboyant strap hinges; pointed west
window immediately above with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and perpendicular
tracery, single-light window to the south with segmental pointed head;
belfry marked by a string, pointed belfry openings with 2 trefoil-headed
lights and quatrefoil in the head. South aisle: mid-C14, heightened
in the C16, coinciding with a heightening of the nave arcades, bay
divisions marked by buttresses; pointed lower windows each with 2 trefoil
headed lights and 8-lobed figure in the head and quarter-round moulded
surround, C19 restoration of C14 windows; paired Tudor-arch upper windows
with Y-tracery, C14 west window similar to the south windows, tall pointed
east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery of circa 1340 and quarter-
round moulded surround, tracery restored in C19. Gabled porch of 1866
with diagonal buttresses, pointed arch with hood mould and engaged columns
with ball flower decorated capitals. North aisle: late C14, heightened
in the C16; C12 north door re-set, with single roll moulded order
springing from nook shafts with cushion capitals, pointed lower windows
to centre and west of north side of 2 trefoil-headed lights with super
mullions and quatrefoil in the head, C15 square headed window to the east
with 2 trefoil headed lights; C16 triangular arch upper windows of 3
lights with cusped heads, large pointed east window of 4 trefoil-headed
lights with perpendicular tracery over, pointed west window of 4 lights
with cinquefoiled heads and perpendicular tracery, restored. Chancel:
C13. heightened in the C16 and restored in 1877; pilaster buttresses
at the bay divisions, lower windows to north and south are lancets,
upper windows are C19, probably copies of earlier windows, they are
pointed and have 3 trefoil-headed lights and deeply hollowed surrounds;
pointed doorway to the south with hood mould terminating in heads;
pointed east window of 3 pointed lights with cusped circles above, tracery
restored in C19. Interior: C13 south arcade, heightened in the C16,
double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals
and squat moulded bases; north arcade of 1891, pointed and double
chamfered tower arch, pointed chancel arch with 2 continuous orders,
the inner has a sunken chamfer, the outer an ogee moulding, ogee-moulded
dripstone springing from corbels of which only the right hand one remains,
this is carved with a face peering out of foliage; C16 roofs to nave and
south aisle with ridge piece, one pair of purlins and cambered tie beams,
all moulded, and carved bosses; C19 roofs to north aisle and chancel in a
similar style; C13 sedilia and piscina in south wall of chancel, pointed
and chamfered arches, the seats of the sedilia are stepped up towards the
east. Fittings: C15 octagonal font, panelled and traceried pedestal and
basin, grotesques to each corner of the base; poor box inscribed "REMEMBER /
THE POOR" and dated 1710; 2 oak chests reinforced with iron straps,
probably C14; semi-octagonal pulpit dated 1639 with carved panels; 2 C16
oak benches with carved panels and poppy heads; former communion rail now
at west end of north aisle, C17, turned balusters; reredos by Basil
Champneys, 1892; remains of C15 wall painting on north side of chancel.
Monuments: wall memorial to William and Elinor Turton died 1681 and
1683, aedicule on console brackets with Corinthian columns, semi-circular
pediment broken by a coat of arms; wall plaque to John Turton died 1707,
by Thomas White of Worcester, aedicule with fluted pilasters and drawn
back curtains, surmounted by a coat of arms with flanking urns spouting
flame; bracketed wall plaque to John Turton died 1771, with sarcophagus
and obelisk, the latter bearing a coat of arms; bracketed wall plaque to
John Bradley died 1708, aedicule with panelled pilasters and open semi-
circular pediment. B.o. E. p. 53.

Listing NGR: SK1676915267

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.