This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.5451 / 54°32'42"N
Longitude: -3.5881 / 3°35'17"W
OS Eastings: 297364
OS Northings: 517813
OS Grid: NX973178
Mapcode National: GBR 3HCW.ZG
Mapcode Global: WH5Z7.V0KY
Entry Name: Catherine Mill
Listing Date: 13 September 1972
Last Amended: 24 October 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75904
Location: Copeland, Cumbria, CA28
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Whitehaven St James
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2017
NX 9717 NW,
(Formerly Listed as: Barracks Mill)
(Previously listed as: Factory building of Dobson & Musgrave, II; and, Factory Building of Dobson & Musgrave, II*)
Former fireproof flax mill (empty at time of inspection, August 1989; noted converted to flats, Jun. 2016). 1809 (dated rainwater heads and documentary evidence). Coursed limestone; renewed concrete pantiled gable-end roofs. Long range with centrally-placed engine house, possibly the first mill building to have its engine house so positioned and marking an important stage in the development of the textile mill. Four storeys. Seven window bays to either side of slightly projecting pedimented central wing (which contains the engine house), including two loading bays asymmetrically placed. All windows under segmental arches with keystones; renewed casements with glazing bars. Some ground-floor window openings altered. Central doorway (double doors with recessed panels), the pedimented wing with one central window to each floor. Moulded stone cornice. End walls with stone coping and external stack; left-hand return rendered with three windows, the openings narrowed in brick; right return with two windows to each floor treated as to front, those to the left
lengthened to form loading bays. 4th floor window set within stack. Blocked
circular privy windows, two to each floor. Rear, the engine house projecting one
window bay with tall tapering external stack, renewed top course of shaft in
brick. Windows as to front, several altered. INTERIOR: central rank of paired
iron columns. Quatrefoil in section, with lugs for line shafting. Cast-iron
queen-strut roof. Transverse arches below windows to equalise load.
This mill is of national importance. It appears to be the earliest mill to contain a
central engine house which was more economical in driving long line shafts. It
is also one of the half dozen or so earliest surviving fire-proofed mills.
Plan, section and brief discussion in K Falconer and R Thorne's, 'Industrial
Archaeology and the RCHME; Industries Archaeology Review (1986), 29-30.
Factory building of
Dobson & Musgrave
NX 9717 NW 4/12
Large, long rectangular building in stone, 4 storeys high, with new
roof. 17 windows on each floor, with pediment over the middle 3, all
windows with segmental heads. Square tapering chimney in centre of
pediment on West side, and lower gabled wing in centre. Once a
barracks, but said to have been built between 1811 and 1829 as a linen
Listing NGR: NX9736417813
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings