This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4227 / 55°25'21"N
Longitude: -1.8551 / 1°51'18"W
OS Eastings: 409268
OS Northings: 614319
OS Grid: NU092143
Mapcode National: GBR H5HQ.5Y
Mapcode Global: WHC19.GYVR
Entry Name: Shawdon Hall
Listing Date: 25 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1038949
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236590
Location: Hedgeley, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Hedgeley
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 01 SE
8/245 Shawdon Hall
Country House. Dated 1779 on rainwater heads, possibly by William Newton, for
William Hargrave. Rear wing truncated 1970. Main block tooled ashlar with
Lakeland slate roof; rear wing squared stone with Welsh slate roof.
South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays: plinth, sill and 1st floor bands,
dentil eaves cornice. 3-bay centre has giant pilasters with palmette capitals,
fluted frieze with paterae, and pediment enclosing 1817 wood carving of Pawson
arms and mantling. 6 steps up to central Venetian doorway with half-glazed
door and plain fanlight, fluted frieze and archivolt, under round arch.
Plate-glass sash windows. Hipped roof with 2 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks.
5-bay left return shows similar detail; central open pediment, with floating
cornice over 1st floor window beneath. Plainer 4-bay right return has similar
fenestration in right bays but only 1st floor blind windows on left; 5-bay
right rear wing with central 6-panel door and latticed overlight in plain
porch; 4-pane sash windows. Rear elevation shows 20-pane sash stair window
with radial head; rear (west) elevation of wing shows projecting 3-bay section
Interior: Entrance hall has mahogany doors with carved fielded panels; fluted
dentil frieze and overdoors. Dining room has carved black-and-white marble
fireplace from Close House, Wylam, dado rail, long enriched panels; fluted
frieze with paterae, and matching overdoors. Sitting room has white marble
fireplace,with coloured inlaid medallions, and palmette frieze. Lower and
upper stair halls both have arches with fluted archivolts on imposts with
paterae; band of fluting at landing level, panelling, anthemion top cornice.
Open-well stair with stick balusters, moulded wreathed and ramped handrail and
curtail step. Bedrooms have dado rails and moulded cornices. Doorway to
servants' stair has fluted archivolt and radial overlight. One lavatory of
c.1880; panelled cistern with glazed floral tiles.
C. Hussey, 'Shawdon Hall, Northumberland', Country Life Mar. 5 1959, 460-463.
Listing NGR: NU0926814319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings