This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9164 / 52°54'58"N
Longitude: -2.1264 / 2°7'34"W
OS Eastings: 391600
OS Northings: 335446
OS Grid: SJ916354
Mapcode National: GBR 15K.37G
Mapcode Global: WHBD7.9YPM
Entry Name: Ivy Cottage ivy Mill
Listing Date: 16 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039013
English Heritage Legacy ID: 272327
Location: Stone Rural, Stafford, Staffordshire, ST15
Civil Parish: Stone Rural
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Oulton St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STONE RURAL LONGTON ROAD
Ivy Mill and
SJ 93 NW 6/6 16.9.77.
Circa 1740 in origin. Later alterations and additions. The mill was first used
for linseed oil, later as a bone grinding mill, and latterly for stone grinding.
Formerly called Oil Mill and also Goodwin's Mill. Painted brick with tiled roof.
Approached by a bridge over the stream and entered on an upper storey through a
later plain doorway with a casement window at either side. At the rear is a pitch
back waterwheel 19 ft in diameter and 6 ft wide. Interior has 2 pans driven from
a common upright shaft, one on a floor above the other. Attached to south-west
is the wash tub room with, to west, the drying kiln, and to south is Ivy Cottage
proper,of painted brick with tiled roof and 3-storeyed. Irregular fenestration;
generally C19 wood casement windows; plain doorway with tiled wood porch and a
modern lean-to,partly tiled and partly glazed.
Listing NGR: SJ9160035446
Other nearby listed buildings