History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Four Crosses Inn

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatherton, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6831 / 52°40'59"N

Longitude: -2.0691 / 2°4'8"W

OS Eastings: 395423

OS Northings: 309491

OS Grid: SJ954094

Mapcode National: GBR 29N.RPX

Mapcode Global: WHBFF.5TYF

Entry Name: The Four Crosses Inn

Listing Date: 16 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039173

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271778

Location: Hatherton, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WS11

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Hatherton

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Hatherton St Saviour

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Cannock

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

SJ 90 NE HATHERTON WATLING STREET(south side)

4/10 The Four Crosses Inn
16.5.53

- II

In line 18, after "and aprons" add:- "To the left on the first floor a C20 wooden
sign board suspended from a cantlievered beam".

------------------------------------


SJ 90 NE HATHERTON C.P. WATLING STREET (south
side)

4/10 The Four Crosses Inn
16.5.53

- II

Inn. Dated 1636, extended circa 1700 and in the mid-C18 restored 1925.
C17 timber framing of close studding with middle rail and diagonal braces
in herringbone patterns. Red brick extension; plain tile roofs; brick ridge
stack. L-shaped building of 1636; main range aligned east-west facing north
with crosswing to the east projecting north, and porch in the re-entrant
angle between the two buildings. Extension block of 2 parallel ranges to
the case aligned north-south; mid-C18 rear extension wing to the west.
Building of 1636 to the right, extension of circa 1700 to the left. Building
of 1636: 2 storeys and attic, 3 window front. Full height gabled porch
to left with jettied upper floors, diagonally placed angle brackets, and
balusters beneath the attic window. The attic bresummer is inscribed "1636 N "
and a rail over the ground floor window is inscribed "NERES SISCIRES 1 E
UNUM TUA TEMPORA MESEM RIDES CUN NON SIT FORSITAN UNA DIES". Single-
storey C20 gabled porch in the angle between the C17 porch and main range.
Extension of circa 1700. 3 storeys with quoins of unequal length and a
coped parapet ramped down at the ends containing blind panels over the windows.
2 windows, C19 and C20 casements with gauged brick heads, raised keystones
and aprons. 6-panel door to the right, set within a former window opening.
Mid-C18 brick rear wing of 2 storeys with ashlar quoins of unequal length
and ashlar storey band; casement windows with segmental heads. Interior.
Chamfered and stopped ceiling beams.


Listing NGR: SJ9542309491

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.