History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moseley Old Hall and Attached Garden Walls, Gatepiers and Gate

A Grade II* Listed Building in Featherstone, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6374 / 52°38'14"N

Longitude: -2.1024 / 2°6'8"W

OS Eastings: 393169

OS Northings: 304415

OS Grid: SJ931044

Mapcode National: GBR 2B6.P92

Mapcode Global: WHBFL.PY2Y

Entry Name: Moseley Old Hall and Attached Garden Walls, Gatepiers and Gate

Listing Date: 16 May 1953

Last Amended: 4 February 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039208

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271772

Location: Featherstone, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WV10

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Featherstone

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bushbury St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Willenhall

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. BROOKHOUSE LANE(north west side)

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and attached
garden walls, gatepiers and
gate (formerly listed a
Moseley Old Hall).

16.5.53 II

the entry shall be amended to read:-

SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. MOSELEY OLD HALL LANE(north west side

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and attached
garden walls, gatepiers and
gate (formerly listed as
Moseley Old Hall).

16.5.53 II

------------------------------------


SJ 90 SW FEATHERSTONE C.P. BROOKHOUSE LANE (north west side)

6/4 Moseley Old Hall and att-
ached garden walls, gate
piers and gate (formerly
16.5.53 listed as Moseley Old
Hall).

GV II*

House and attached garden walls, gate piers and gate. Late C16 timber framed
core encased in brown brick with blue brick dressings circa 1870; plain tile
roof; brick stacks with star shaped shafts. H-plan; hall range aligned north-
south facing east with projecting porch; parlour wing to the south, and service
wing to the north; minor extension to the north-east corner of the north wing.
2 storeys and attic; irregular multi gabled 6 window front with 2 storey
extension bay to the right. Casements with segmental heads and sill bands.
Full height porch towards right hand end of the slightly recessed hall range,
with 4-centred outer arch and inside, a 3-centred arch door. Brick walls
enclose a front garden; in the centre of each of the 3 sides is a pair of
square gate piers; those to the south and east have C17 stone caps. Interior.
Large open fireplace in the south-east corner of the Entrance Hall, and open-
well staircase of circa 1700 to the west with crossed string, panelled newels,
turned balusters, ramped handrail and oak dado with bolection moulded panels.
The Parlour occupied the ground floor of the south wing. It retains early
C17 wall panelling with a simple patterned frieze, and a spine beam with wide
chamfers. The King's Room. On the first floor of the service wing.
Exposed timber framing, low oak wall panelling and bolection moulded wooden
fireplace surround. In the north-east corner of the room a camouflaged
and plaster door opens to an original oak door with ogee arch, behind which
is a cupboard in the space between the chimney stack and the north wall.
Beneath the floor boards of this cupboard is a hiding place believed to have
been used by King Charles II after his defeat at Worcester in 1651. Whitgreave's
Room. Above the hall range. Exposed square panel timber framing in one wall,
2 walls are covered in early C17 oak panelling which incorporates cupboard
doors, one on each side of the fireplace. Intersecting cross and spine beams
with wide chamfers. A door in the west wall opens to a small room within the
porch, formerly used by Thomas Whitgreave as a study. Chapel. In the attic
of the parlour wing. Plastered walls with trompe l'oeil decorative panelling.
Vaulted and painted plaster ceiling. In the other attics there is a good deal
of exposed C16 timber framing. Moseley Old Hall contains several C16/17
panelled doors. Henry Pitt purchased the estate in 1583; he was almost
certainly the builder of Moseley Old Hall, for in 1600 the house was referred
to as 'Mr Pitt's new Hall at Moseley'. His daughter Alice inherited the
house on his death in 1602 and subsequently married Thomas Whitgreave.
Alice and her son, also Thomas, gave sanctuary to King Charles II after his
defeat at Worcester; he arrived from Boscobel House (q.v. Boscobel C.P.,
District of Bridgnorth, Shropshire) in the early morning of 8th September
1651 and left for France on the night of the 9th. Moseley Old Hall is owned
by The National Trust. The National Trust, Moseley Old Hall (1986).


Listing NGR: SJ9316904415

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.