History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longnor Hall, Attached Wall to North East, and Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7247 / 52°43'28"N

Longitude: -2.1979 / 2°11'52"W

OS Eastings: 386728

OS Northings: 314137

OS Grid: SJ867141

Mapcode National: GBR 17S.347

Mapcode Global: WHBF5.6SM1

Entry Name: Longnor Hall, Attached Wall to North East, and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Last Amended: 4 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039251

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271567

Location: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, ST19

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Lapley, Stretton and Wheaton Aston

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Bradeley St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Mitton

Listing Text

SJ 81 SE LAPLEY C.P. LONGNOR.

5/80 Longnor Hall, attached
19.3.62 wall to North East, and
gate piers. (Longnor Hall
previously listed)

GV II*

Small Country House, dated 1726 on rainwater head. Red brick with stone
dressings; flat roof invisible behind re-built parapet. Provincial Baroque
with 'U' shaped plan to rear. South elevation 3 storey, 2-3-2 bays, glazing
bar sashes, shorter to second floor, in stone keyed heads and with brick
aprons; stone quoins to angles and central 3 bay break, with stone moulded
pediment below parapet coping, narrower windows below;
parapet capped by stone urns at angles. Stone pedimented central doorway with
Gibbsian surround and double, four panelled front door. Widely spaced 2 bay
sides with similar windows and central rainwater pipe; formed lead head
inscribed 1726 R.E.A. Lower kitchen range to North West; late C19 serlian
window to first floor, rear. Interior: Largely late C19 re-modelling including
central entrance hall and stairway. Room to left of front door in early C18
panelling, fielded with dado rail and moulded cornice; C19 fireplace.
Curved wall to North East enclosing stable yard from garden. Red brick with
stone dressings 2 m high, taken to gate piers with brick plinth and moulded
stone string and capping. Gates not included. Encloses stable yard.


Listing NGR: SJ8672814137

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.