History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pattingham and Patshull, Staffordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6034 / 52°36'12"N

Longitude: -2.2957 / 2°17'44"W

OS Eastings: 380067

OS Northings: 300668

OS Grid: SJ800006

Mapcode National: GBR 07P.NF3

Mapcode Global: WH9DK.PTZH

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 June 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 271460

Location: Pattingham and Patshull, South Staffordshire, Staffordshire, WV6

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Pattingham and Patshull

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Pattingham St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Pattingham

Listing Text

PATSHULL C.P. PATSHULL PARK
SJ 80 SW
Church of St. Mary
7/144
27.6.63
II*
G.V.


Parish Church. c1743, with late C19 additions. By
James Gibbs for John Astley with additions by W.C. Banks.
Sandstone ashlar with rusticated quoins; leaded roofs
with raised verges and moulded eaves cornice. Single bay
Chancel, 3 bay nave; north aisle; west tower; north
vestry. Pedimented east gable and Venetian east window
with corbelled sills and Tuscan pilasters; round headed
windows to nave and Chancel, that in centre circular;
central door with Tuscan porch. West tower has 3 stages
with first floor band and second floor cornice; the bell
chamber was added in 1877. It has round headed louvred
openings with Tuscan pilasters and entablature and is
capped by a leaded cupola. Interior: North arcade of
1877 with square piers with bracketed capitals and round
arches; semi-elliptical Chancel and tower arches; coved
plaster ceiling. Fittings: marble baluster font of
1740's; Communion rail; altar table and 2 chairs of
same style and date with twisted balusters and legs; gilded
wrought iron screen of 1893 by Banks. Monuments:
Sir John Astley died 1532; alabaster, recumbent couple
with small figures on tomb chest; Sir Richard Astley died
1687; standing figure and 2 seated wives; frieze between
them of hnrsemen (these 2 monuments now form a composition);
Lord Pigot died 1795 and Sir Robert Pigot died 1796. both
by P.F. Chance, standing female figure by an urn. Medieval
coffin lid standing against south wall of nave. B.O.E.
Staffordshire (1974).


Listing NGR: SJ8006700668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.