This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8948 / 52°53'41"N
Longitude: 0.8732 / 0°52'23"E
OS Eastings: 593370
OS Northings: 336906
OS Grid: TF933369
Mapcode National: GBR R6L.KL7
Mapcode Global: WHLQY.DH1M
Entry Name: Williamsons Furniture Store and Former Prison
Listing Date: 9 May 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039378
English Heritage Legacy ID: 223093
Location: Walsingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR22
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Walsingham
Built-Up Area: Little Walsingham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Walsingham Little St Mary and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
5320 LITTLE WALSINGHAM BRIDEWELL STREET
Williamsons Furniture Store
and former Prison
TF 9336 NW 1/84 9.5.77.
Gaol built in 1787 on site of the Old Leper Hospital, enlarged 1822 and became
County House of Correction. Said to have had 53 cells, several day rooms, exercising
yards and infirmary and 4 tread mills for grinding corn.
1822 mill on west side: red brick; hipped black-glazed pantile roof; brick dentil
eaves; 3 storeys and basement; 5 window bays, small windows with rubbed brick
arches and stone cills; wide central ground floor entrance with slight rubbed
brick arch, another doorway on right.
East wing (containing cells): lower; red brick; brick dentil eaves; pantile roof
with hipped end; studded prison door with barred viewing hole.
Listing NGR: TF9337036906
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings