History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Shire Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Walsingham, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8941 / 52°53'38"N

Longitude: 0.8743 / 0°52'27"E

OS Eastings: 593449

OS Northings: 336835

OS Grid: TF934368

Mapcode National: GBR R6L.KW7

Mapcode Global: WHLQY.DJL4

Entry Name: Shire Hall

Listing Date: 30 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039388

English Heritage Legacy ID: 223118

Location: Walsingham, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR22

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

Civil Parish: Walsingham

Built-Up Area: Little Walsingham

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Walsingham Little St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Little Walsingham

Listing Text

1.
5320 LITTLE WALSINGHAM COMMON PLACE
(South Side)

Shire Hall
TF 9336 NW 1/38 30.11.51.

II* GV

2.
C15 origin; 2 storeys, floor removed late C18 to provide chamber for court.
Flint with later brick parapet and window and door dressings. Steep pantile
roof with gabled ends. Two storeys. First floor 3 large sashes with glazing
bars. Ground floor 3 flush-panel doors in segmental-headed openings and on right
main entrance with large pediment on shaped brackets and double doors with flush
panels and moulded doorcase. Brick chimney stack at each end. Remains of C15
stone window frames at rear with ogee or 4-centred arch lights.
Interior: court chamber complete with late C18/early C19 court fittings including
chairman's seat, box benches. Royal Arms of George III dated 1778, panelling,
and public gallery at west end under which is prisoners' lock-up containing benches
and urinal. Quarter Sessions were held here until 1861.


Listing NGR: TF9344936835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.