This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1632 / 52°9'47"N
Longitude: -0.6267 / 0°37'36"W
OS Eastings: 494033
OS Northings: 252545
OS Grid: SP940525
Mapcode National: GBR F07.BCV
Mapcode Global: VHFPZ.3W1L
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 13 July 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039598
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431164
Location: Turvey, Bedford, MK43
Civil Parish: Turvey
Built-Up Area: Turvey
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Turvey
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HIGH STREET (north side),
Parish Church of All Saints,
Medieval parish church with additions and alterations 1852-1854 by
Sir G. G. Scott. His work has been called "the finest mid-Victorian
ecclesiastical ensemble in Bedfordshire" (McHardy). Church consists of nave,
chancel, W. tower, N. and S. aisles and S. porch. W. part of the nave has
remains of probably Saxon work as does the base of the tower. Tower arch and
central stages are Early English; the parapet and pyramid roof, Victorian.
The nave is mainly C13 with the N. arcade added early C14 and the nave
extended. Most of the windows were reworked by Scott. C15 clerestorey and
fine angel roof. S. porch is also C15. It was originally vaulted. S.
doorway has good C13 ironwork similar to that at Leighton Buzzard and Eaton
Bray. The chancel was rebuilt by Scott 1852-54. In a recess in the S. aisle
is an early C14 painting of the Crucifixion. There is an impressive
collection of monuments. Two C15 brasses in the S. chapel. In the S. aisle a
tomb-chest of Sir John Mordaunt 1506. Between chancel and S. chapel, one of
the most important Tudor monuments in the county (Pevsner), to the first Lord
Mordaunt 1560. It is by T. Kirby. Alabaster effigies and stone surround.
Coupled Roman Doric columns and an arch decorated with chains of squares and
circles. Victories in the spandrels. The upper storey has two caryatids.
Also 2nd Lord Mordaunt and his two wives. Effigies lie side by side, but he
is raised higher than his wives. 3rd Lord Mordaunt 1601. An unusual tomb-
chest with a black cloth of stone hanging dawn like a pall and the inscription
in white on it.
Listing NGR: SP9403352545
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings