History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eyewell House

A Grade II Listed Building in Queen Camel, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0256 / 51°1'31"N

Longitude: -2.5897 / 2°35'22"W

OS Eastings: 358741

OS Northings: 125296

OS Grid: ST587252

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.HRQH

Mapcode Global: FRA 56GD.NY6

Entry Name: Eyewell House

Listing Date: 9 March 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039625

English Heritage Legacy ID: 431129

Location: Queen Camel, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Queen Camel

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Queen Camel

Listing Text

QUEEN CAMEL CP TRAITS LANE (West side)
ST52NE
EYEWELL
3/128
Eyewell House
9.3.82
GV
II
Detached house. 1924-1925 by Sir E Guy Dawber for Major G C S Hodgson. Local lias stone cut and squared; plain clay
tile roof, hipped with wide eaves overhang; stone chimney stacks with moulded caps. Two storeys with attic, 4-bay
north, entrance elevation, of which bay 3 projects. Ashlar plinth; small pane casement windows set in voussoired
segmental arched openings, of 3-lights bay 1 and 2-lights bay 2; bay 3 has 6-panel door set in wood surround having
fluted pilasters and pediment; above a 20-pane sash window, and in attic gable a semi-circular 3-light window; bay 4
has single-light windows in corner at both levels; dormer windows with lead flat roofs on either side of the bay 3
gable; the outer chimney stacks very tall, and linked to main roof by short false roofs; single storey L-plan extension
(of 1925) to east gable. Other elevations of similar character. Interior little altered. Property now held by Ministry
of Defence (Admiralty). (Country Life, 30 April 1927).


Listing NGR: ST5874125296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.