This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4299 / 52°25'47"N
Longitude: -0.9585 / 0°57'30"W
OS Eastings: 470907
OS Northings: 281835
OS Grid: SP709818
Mapcode National: GBR BSV.QGK
Mapcode Global: VHDR5.B6M2
Entry Name: The Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1039887
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360264
Location: Clipston, Daventry, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Clipston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Clipston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CLIPSTON CHAPEL LANE
15/11 The Baptist Chapel
Baptist Chapel. Datestone 1803 altered by E.F. Law 1864. Brick and stucco with
slate roof. Chapel with vestibules at east end. Single storey with gallery.
Stuccoed main front by Law has projecting single storey porch with 3-bay open
arcade having archivolt and keystones with Doric pilasters at the corners. 3 -
entrances. Simple entablature above with dentilled cornice. Above the porch a
3-window range of round headed openings with moulded architraves and keystones.
Cast iron window frames with semi-circular glazing bars to the heads. Pairs of
pilasters at corners with entablature above with dentilled cornice and open
dentilled pediment. Occulus with 4 keystones in pediment. Windows to return wall
of east front have arched heads. Large rusticated quoins. South elevation is of
chequered brick with 3-window range. Those at first floor are similar to the
east front and those at ground floor have moulded stone architraves with square
heads. The west elevation has blank openings with pointed heads. Late C19
schoolroom attached to the right of the east front has 2 round headed windows,
one breaking forward with a pediment over. Interior: Central arched opening
beneath the entrance porch which has an external flight of steps dividing into 2
to serve the gallery. Inscribed tablet "Errected 1803" above the staircase.
Gallery with a fielded panelled front on 3 sides of the chapel, the centre
section opposite the pulpit breaking forward as a canted bay. The gallery is
supported on cast iron columns.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.151).
Listing NGR: SP7090781835
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings