History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodmancote Place

A Grade II Listed Building in Woodmancote, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9224 / 50°55'20"N

Longitude: -0.2491 / 0°14'56"W

OS Eastings: 523160

OS Northings: 115118

OS Grid: TQ231151

Mapcode National: GBR JMT.3TR

Mapcode Global: FRA B6CN.W7V

Entry Name: Woodmancote Place

Listing Date: 15 April 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1039952

English Heritage Legacy ID: 361781

Location: Woodmancote, Horsham, West Sussex, BN5

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham

Civil Parish: Woodmancote

Built-Up Area: Woodmancote

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Woodmancote St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Henfield

Listing Text

The following Building shall be added to the list:-

TQ 21 NW HORSHAM WOODMANCOTE

9/361 WOODMANCOTE PLACE

II

Large house. A house on the site was mentioned in 1339 and 1434
and the centre has the core of a late medieval stone building
running north to south of which only one storey survives with
early C17 timber framed 1st floor above. c.1700 the south parlour
end was rebuilt with an L wing of 5 bays running eastwards and
c.1920 the existing house was refaced and also extended to west
and north in a Vernacular revival style of timber frame, brick and
tile hanging with tiled and Horsham stone roof and brick chimney0
stacks. The oldest portion of the north entrance front is the
central gabled section of which the ground floor is C14 of
standstone with large stone quoins and the 1st floor and attics
early C17 timberframing, clad in C20 tile hanging. Tiled roof
with large brick chimneystacks. C20 mullioned windows. To the
north east is an c.1920 extension of 2 storeys and attics, timber-
framed with curved braces and brick infilling with projecting
hipped gable to extreme east of red brick with tile hanging above
and external brick chimneystack. This wing is entirely roofed in
Horsham stone slabs. 4 C20 mullioned windows and deep gabled
porch of timber framing, rick and tiled roof set against the C14
range. To the north west of the C14 range is a service wing, with
projecting gable to the centre of red brick with tile hung 1st
floor, tiled roof with 3 clustered brick stacks and wooden
mullioned windows, attached to the service wing is an early C20
wall and elaborate brick gatepiers with Horsham stone cornice,
pyramidal caps and ball finials. East front has c.1920 red brick
ground floor and tile hanging above with Horsham slab roof to
right and c.1920 red brick to left with hipped tiled roof. South
or garden front comprizes an east side, the c1700 5 bay parlour
range refaced and refenestrated c.1920 when 2 further bays were
added to the east. Red brick in Flemish bond with tiled roof and
C20 panelled brick chimneystack. 2 storeys and attics; 7 windows.
Windows are early C20 wooden cross mullions with leaded lights and
handmade iron hinges. 2 hipped dormers with similar windows.
Central C20 brick and timber framed porch. Attached at the
extreme east is a C20 brick and tiled wood shed. To the west of
the C18 wing is the c.1920 service wing, the ground of red brick,
the 1st floor partly tile hung, partly timber framed with central
projecting gable with bargeboards and pendants, mullioned windows
and recessed feature of Wealden derivation. The west return has a
large gable with curved tiles to attic and projecting tile hung
1st floor over brick ground floor, with 1 storey brick projecting
game larder. Interior retains 2 C14 arched doorways at each end
of the cross passage retaining the bolt holes and the easternmost
one retaining the original oak plank door with original studs.
The ground floor hall has an inserted early C17 ceiling with roll-
moulded axial beam with triangular stops, chamfered cross beam
with lambs tongue stops and chamfered floor joists with lambs
tongue stops. Large chamfered early C17 oak chimney beam with
rush light makrs and indentation made by iron crane with opening
for bread oven to left ad 2 salt niches. 1st floor above C14
range is of early C17 timber framing with jowled posts midrail and
curved tension braces. There are 2 large chamers, the
southernmost with blocked arched doorcase with plain spandrals and
rush light marks. Roof to this wing is of queenpost type with
through purlins, collar beam, curved windbraces and original
rafters. C18 parlour wing to south east has mainly been reworked
internally but retains its roof of staggered purlins and 2
original 3 plank doors. The parlour has an early C20 fireplace
and the Dining Room has Queen Anne style C20 oak panelling and
stone fireplace of Jacobean type. The former music room to the
east an early C20 addition has a bolection moulded fireplace
flanked by 2 round-headed niches and panelling. When the house
was extended c.1920, the staircase was moved from the centre of
the C18 wing to the north east and a large well staircase in
Jacobean style inserted utilizing the former outside wall of early
C17 date as a gallery and adding Jacobean plank and mustin type
panelling on the ground floor. Billiard room to north east has
c.1920 fireplace with wooden surround and cruved brick hood.
Series of c1920 fireplaces to bedrooms and bathroom fittings of
the period. Service wing retains bell system and game and meat
larders. Because of the proximity of the house to the Parish
church the C14 building may have been in ecclesiastical use. In
1723 there was recorded a hall, 2 parlours and at least 4
chambers, besides offices. A moated site (see V.C.H. Vol Vl, part
3) The C.C.A. mentions a crown post roof to the north west but
this was not visible at time of inspection.


Listing NGR: TQ2316015118

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.